Amestris' Threat

<><>Edward's POV<><>

We end up following Aura's plan and decide to book an inn after we check in with headquarters. "Don't you have to be in your military attire?" Al reminds her, to which she says, "damn. Whatever, I doubt they'll care much."

We head off towards Mustang's office. I grin, snickering at the fact that Aura's standing respectfully behind me, but turn back around as she glares.

I let my hands rest on the door handles as I sigh, unwilling to open the doors and see that snarky, sarcastic face of Colonel Roy Mustang.

Nevertheless, I must, and I do.

Right when I pull the bars, Mustang appears instantly, and his expression hardens considerably. "Perfect timing, Fullmetal, Stryder. The government is faced with matters that only you can attend to."

Without any words of protest, we're dragged into the room, where he takes a seat behind his desk, and Hawkeye stands aside.

"I don't expect you to have heard yet, as you were away in Resembool," the Colonel starts, "but we've gotten into quite the mess."

"What is it?" I lean forward, now interested. "What's in it for us?" "This isn't the time. This is a very urgent matter, Fullmetal, do you understand?"

My eyebrows furrow, and gesture for him to go on. "We've received an anonymous letter, without an address, date, signature..." Riza pulls out a slightly crumpled parchment, and hands it to me.

To Amestris...

On the 19th hour of the day you receive this, you will find three cities demolished... Do no question our strength. Do not take this lightly. If this comes off as an insane proposition, then so be it. We will laugh at your ignorance and foolishness as you stand in the ruins of your country.

If you wish to protect your beloved Amestris, I suggest you send Edward Elric, Alphonse Elric, and a girl who calls herself 'Aurelia Stryder' to meet us in the area Xerxe's had once existed... If that is not enough of an interest to them, then we do not know what is.

If you are not dense, you will take up our kind offer. A meeting, for the safety of your cities and vital information. We will not launch any attacks on Amestris for the time being. However, we cannot guarantee the wellbeing of Edward and Alphonse Elric, along with the girl.

If we sense any other person with those three, we will annihilate everything. What is of more value? Three people's lives, or millions of people's lives? -if it comes to it.

You are cornered, Amestris. We are mighty. Do not try and fool us.

YOU CANNOT RUN.

Alarmed, I abruptly rise from my seat. Aurelia and Alphonse, who read over my shoulder, follow suit.

"What if they're not for real?" Al hopefully says, but I shake my head. "No one who'd simply want to mess with the government would go to these extents. Whoever wrote this knows a lot."

"And," Aura adds, "they are as they say. I don't think it's a bluff, somehow." Sharply, she turns her head to look at the Flame Alchemist and Hawkeye. "What will happen next?"

Mustang slumps a little, surprisingly. "Our hands are tied. The Führer reluctantly agrees that you should go. If it were indeed a hoax, then no harm would be done."

"So we're going?" Bitterly, ashamed, she adds, "to quite possibly our deaths?"

To our... deaths? "Hold on, Aura," I protest. "They can be as powerful as they say, but there is no way I'll be killed. We go, we live. I admit, this request is for a fight. But I will not die. None of us will."

"If they claim to possess the strength to destroy three cities, how will we survive? And as implied by the 'we', I'm assuming they are multiple people. The government can't follow us."

I stare straight into her eyes, and firmly, decisively say, "none of us are dying. I promise." I see a mixture of emotions in those golden eyes... regret, anger, despair. Aura, like me, is putting on a facade...

Al continues, "also, I doubt they mean to kill us. It may be a stretch, but killing us three doesn't exactly benefit them. They will harm us, for whatever reason, but still."

Roy nods in consent, replying, "Alphonse may be correct. Either way, by agreeing to their terms, you are fully aware you are risking your lives. Government back up will not be provided, unless 'they' disappear, and you will send up this flare."

He draws out a flare and offers it to Al, who hesitantly accepts it. A dark silence hangs in the room, and the heavy thoughts are shared by one another.

Next to me, Aura sighs. "I'm fine now," she says, "so I apologize. I was losing my nerve. I have no intentions of dying to their hands." She straightens.

"After all, I can't solve my mystery when I'm dead."

Grimly, Mustang nods. "So it's settled. I'm sorry it had to be you three they wanted, but I have no control over that. It's hard, forcing you to go in our place."

I grit my teeth, replying, "but we're dogs of the military. There's no question we must commit ourselves to Amestris. This is simply our duty."

"You will be sent a mile away from the outskirts of what was once Xerxes. From there, you will walk. We grant you two hours to ready yourselves."

The Colonel turns and strides out the door which Riza holds open for him, but then he stops. Without turning, he says,

"Again, we despise our powerlessness in this situation. It's regrettable we must send you in, putting you in danger. You're responsible now for pushing through, and coming out alive."

They exit, leaving us in the office. "Should we call Winry?" Al quietly suggests, and I say, "no. It'd be better if she didn't know."

We return to where we temporarily deposited our belongings and begin to suit up. I fix up Al, while Aura equips her brace. She redraws the transmutation circle, and readies her kunai.

I promised we wouldn't die.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Wow that was like the cheeziest threat ever... that was terrible. Then again I'm only fourteen and don't know how this stuff goes about so...

Hope you enjoyed! ;)

~TheDreamOtaku