The Second Lieutenant

(A/N: Sorry I don't know the exact details of how the Amestrian military works, and the privileges of the ranks, so I'm making most of the stuff up. DON'T KILL ME ;-;)

<><>Aurelia's POV<><>

"Join the military?" I repeat. I'm almost positive Edward grimaces slightly, and turns his head away. I laugh a bit. "A fifteen year-old?"

"Yes," Mustang confirms. "As the Fullmetal Alchemist's bodyguard." I make a gagging noise; Edward does likewise, while Alphonse scolds him.

"I don't need no bodyguard!" he protests, but I ignore him, asking, "so you're saying this benefits me because I get access to restricted information? Hey, Mustang, remember I'm not researching stuff like these two."

The Colonel replies, "I know. But this still gives you access to records and whatnot, additionally, to our history. And even more, anything suspicious going on in the military, you might hear."

"Good idea," I admit, "but why next to Fullmetal?" He glares at me, and I shrug. To this, he replies, "for one, he's almost never able to stay out of trouble-"

"SHADDUP! AT LEAST I'M NOT USELESS IN THE RAIN, JUST LIKE SOMEONE I KNOW!"

Tic marks appear on Mustang's forehead, and he manages to get out, "-and when he does, now he's got someone to cover his back. Plus," he says, "you two are similar. You could learn a few things from each other."

"Learn from the shrimp?" I say, bluntly. I carelessly raise my arms at my defense when Edward snarls. "Okay, fine. I was just kidding."

"One problem," Alphonse brings up. "Uh, maybe you don't care if she's fifteen, but what about the higher-ups? And what rank will she be, in order for her to be Brother's... Brother's..."

The armor starts laughing hysterically. "I- I'm sorry," he says, "I just can't imagine Brother having a subordinate!"

"SHADDUP!"

"In all seriousness," Mustang says, "Fullmetal still got his State Alchemist license at the age of twelve. He's still a part of the military, so I believe they will be fine with a fifteen year-old join. To answer your second question..."

He ponders this a bit. "I believe the restriction is Second Lieutenant." "If that's the case," I explain, "I'll need to go through all the other ranks, first, and I'm guessing we don't want that."

"You're correct. I do want you to immediately start as Second Lt., but that won't be allowed until you've proved yourself. And of course, we want to keep your history a private matter."

"It may be possible for me to convince the Führer to allow you in..."

I sweat drop. "I hope you have good relations with him?" He doesn't answer this, as he is deep in thought. "Well, the Führer did visit Fullmetal's State Alchemist exam. Maybe if we tested you..."

I shrug again. "Alright. I'll do it."

Edward starts sulking in the corner, and I sigh. "Like it or not, I'm doing this for my own reasons. And I'll still have to fulfill my military job."

"Hold on." Alphonse pipes up. "What about a last name? Do you have one?" "No," I answer. "Well, do you want one?" he asks.

Huh. Never really thought of that before. And it's probably best I get one, for the sake of joining the military. "Sure. Wow, I'm fifteen and don't have a last name."

I continue thinking about the possibilities, and after a couple minutes, I come to a conclusion.

"Still can't believe I'm making up a last name. Anyways, I think 'Stryder.' Aurelia Stryder. And no, shrimp, I do not care if it's terrible."

<><>Time Skip to After A Lot of Stuff<><>

Mustang returns to the office. "The legal paperwork is done. I talked to the Führer about it, and made up a backstory. You two are friends over a long distance, and finally, when Aurelia visits Amestris from Xing, she wants to join the military to help with Fullmetal's research."

"I told him you're a very skilled fighter, and you'll listen to orders from the higher-ups. It wasn't much, but I think he'll allow it. He just needs to evaluate you. We'll go now."

This is fishy. Why would he allow it so easily? I'm seriously a fifteen year-old lieutenant.

We follow the Colonel to the testing room, where I'm sure King Bradley's in. I enter.

I slowly, respectfully incline my head towards the floor on arrival. He motions me to straighten up, and I oblige.

"Colonel Mustang had informed me of your abilities, and that you additionally use the Purification Arts. I must evaluate you on your skills, to see if you are competent for the job of guarding a human life."

"this is a very important task, so in situations like these..." He motions to a soldier. "...you should be able to fight."

I hear a gate open to my right, and out stalks a chimera.

"Render your enemy useless. Begin!"

The monster leaps straight for me, and I sidestep. At least, I think I did. But the chimera swiftly outstretched a claw when I tried to avoid the attack.

Damn you, my clothes are ripped!

This is going to be a bit more challenging than I thought. After all, I didn't fully regain my energy after capturing the criminal.

Fine. I instantly draw my kunai and throw them in a pentagon shape at my feet and next to the beast. My feet rapidly form a Purification Circle, and I activate it.

The blue light returns, illuminating the fighting area. Instead of an explosion, this time, a shockwave occurs, and the volts injure the chimera.

Time after time, I evade the onslaught, until finally, I wear it down so I can finish it in a blow.

I dash directly to it, the blade on my arm reflecting light off of it and into the monster's eyes. Now's my chance!

I slam into the chimera with my shoulder, sending it back a few feet, where it falls. I raise my blade to its neck, and it intelligently stops struggling.

"Very well done, Second Lieutenant Stryder."

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Sorry that was even more long and boring than the last chapter... I'm pretty sure it's going to get better from now on. Let the Edward X Aurelia moments begin!

Hope you enjoyed! :)

~TheDreamOtaku