Prologue

Get out your guns,
Battle's begun,
Are you a saint or sinner?
-Angel With A Shotgun [The Cab]

☆☆☆

Alexa PoV

"Nancy?" I called out to my nurse maid or housekeeper just as she was about to blow out the candles and leave my room.

She pivoted on one foot and looked at me. Her white blonde hair was not as neat as it was normally, her usually neatly pressed dressed was crushed and dirty and her light blue eyes were tired.

Obviously, her new duties in the household hasn't been treating her well.

She blinked in a very suspicious manner as I gestured for her to come sit down beside my bed. She took her seat almost reluctantly as if she wanted to leave even before I spoke to her.

She has been dodging my questions for sometime now. Perhaps today would be the day she answered them.

I said a silent prayer that she does answer them.
I decided that I would go straight to the point, with no beating around the bush done.

"Nancy, why isn't mother coming home anymore?"
I asked her carefully, so that she wouldn't panic and try to escape my question.

She sighed and fingered the hem of her sleeve like she always did when she was nervous.

"You will know when it is time, Xanderline." She told me tenderly after a few moments of silence.

She glanced at the hourglass on my table. "Go to sleep now, it's late." She chided me with a fake smile before I could comment on her indirect answer or force her to answer me.

"Good night, Xanderline," She told me. "I pray that no ghosts shall haunt you, ever." I internally cringed. It was one of those superstitious prayers I choose to ignore. Instead of saying anything in return, I smiled.

"Thank you, I assure that I'll make sure that no ghosts will harm me. Good night Nancy."

She curtsied and walked away and paused at the door. After giving me a sly smile, she mouthed I love you. I smiled back and mouthed I love you too back to her before she shut the door.

Nancy was overprotective of me. She was the mother who was never there for me. Every time I told her this, she told me that I was wrong and that I was only the child of my true mother, the one whom I have barely seen in my seven years of life. I maybe her child but what use do I have for a mother who is never around?

Nancy loved and cared for me like I was of her own flesh and blood but never would she say that she was my mother.

According to her I was trust given to her and it was her duty to bring me up. I tried to respect her view but it was hard for me say or even think that she not of my blood. She was loyal to my parents and I valued that the most.

My mother, on the other hand, was never there for me. Soon after my birth, she started traveling around the realm for business purposes while my father stayed back at our manor tending to his duties as a Lord. It was said that it was inappropriate for a Lady, let alone a Lord's wife to act as such. Yet she left me alone, deprived; without a mother's love.

The thought of a woman who would do such a thing to her own daughter for her selfish desires was just sickening.

My father was all I had. Until that day. The day he promised me that he would return. The day he left and didn't return.

The pain is still raw, to this day and I suppose that it would always remain that way.

I touched the surface of the ruby pendant I wore around my neck. It's steady warmth and the feeling energy in it comforted me. It's surprising how an inanimate object could have the ability to bring peace to your mind, especially if it was of great sentimental value.