Chapter 7

"Nothing is the same
There's a new world
Calling my name
I can't escape this

Shadows break the dark
And we know that it can be verified
Our fate is beckoning
It's beckoning"
-This is the Hunt [Ruelle]

ALEXA POV

I blinked in disbelief. "I beg your pardon." I could hear the hanging threat for him laced in my voice.

Anthony didn't flinch. "You heard me right, Alexa." He rubbed his hands together casually.

How dare he? I knew my father, I knew that he would never betray anyone. Anthony did not know what he was talking about. Rage over took my senses. "No one calls my father a traitor," I slam my hand on the table, my figure looming over him although I had no memory of standing up. "No one talks about my father like that. Not ever. Not in front of me.
"You," I pointed an accusing finger at him. "- are a liar. My father was a good, noble man. He was compassionate and thoughtful, even of those under him. He would never even dream of betraying anyone, let alone his own family."

Anthony drummed his fingers on the table thoughtfully while watching me, his lips pursed. Finally, he sighed tiredly; almost pitifully.

"What?" I demanded. I could feel the anger bubbling inside me, burning my insides, waiting to be released. At that moment, I was so tempted to break him into little pieces just like Noelle had done with the rocks.

"Alexa, Alexa, Alexa." He clicked his tongue. The continuous sound of my name on his tounge made me cringe. "You only knew one face of your dear father." His expression turned into a mask of sheer spite. "He did betray his own family. He betrayed his comrades. As bitter as all of this sounds, it is nothing but the truth."

What did he mean? Why would my father do that? I longed to ask him everything but after a few moments of internal conflict, I decided to let him speak for himself.

"If you would sit down and listen to what I have to say, then perhaps you might understand."

I slowly took my seat. "Only because I want hear your side of the story."

Anthony smiled, looking thoroughly pleased. "Well, let me begin." He looked at me, his bale gold orbs shining in the natural light.  "The Magnusons have always been the Patrons of the Bearers. Both, my brother and I grew up in the Magnuson manor, your home; while our father, Vincent, was the patron. As Arthur was the older son, he was entitled to be the next, whom we call the Patron Apprentice."

Why hadn't I known anything about any of this before? No one ever told me my father had a brother he had grown up with. No one told me that he was about to inherit Patronship. What had happened to his inheritance?

But then, what if Anthony was lying to me? I chose to remain quiet and contemplate whether I ought to believe this man or not.

"Back then," he continued. "about twenty-five years back, the five branches of the Bearers were scattered across the realm. The direct descendents has inherited their respective manors and all the knowledge that came with it. The rest, I regret having to say, had forgotten and entirely neglected their abilities. Most of them knew nothing about out culture or history." His voice was laced with incredulity as he spoke. "Nearly none of knew to fight a spirit with their abilities. It was a shame. They let themselves become vulnerable."

His face lit up with a proud smile, surprising me. One moment, he looked like he could tear the old Bearers apart, limb by limb. The next moment, he looks like he was happy about everything that had happened back then. It would take long for me to understand this man.