Chapter 2

I need another story
Something to get off my chest
My life gets kinda boring
Need something that I can confess
-Secrets [One Republic]

☆☆☆

Alexa PoV

I lowered my sword but didn't lose my grip on it. "What makes you think that I'll listen to his message?"

She smirked. "You will, Lady Alexa. Because unlike your own self, Anthony Magnuson knows who you are."

"That doesn't answer my question." I replied curtly.

She continued to smile eerily. "Like I said, he knows you better than you know yourself." She sat down on the floor, cross-legged. "Tell me, Alexa. Who are you exactly? What do you know about your roots? The people you've descended from? Your ancestors. Do you know why what your mother hid you from your entire life? Why she did it? How about your father? What he died for?" She stopped for a breath. "Tell me, Alexa. What do you know?"

"I... well. I..." I was, for the first time in my life, was lost for words. I knew nothing about my family. Nothing at all.

All those hours I spent sitting in history classes listening to Sir Hemming drone on and on and I knew nothing about my bloodline.

The sword slipped from my hands and I slid down to my knees. I was quiet for a while.

"I want to know everything." I whispered finally.

She smiled at me, this time a kinder one. "Well then, it think that it'll be best if we started with myself. My name is Noele Erdmann."

I looked at her face properly this time. She had delicate features and her were a shade I'd brown which looked like fresh earth. Her hair had a few streaks of gray running through it.

"I don't want to know about yourself!" I snapped. "I want to know what Anthony Magnuson knows about my bloodline." My voice had softened into a whisper. "So tell me everything."

She sucked in a deep breath. "Alexa, you are a Bearer." She told me shortly.

"Do you honestly expect me to know what that means?" I asked her, irritated.

She clasped her hands together tightly and looked at me directly in the eye. "I suppose you know the order of the world? How one's soul passes on to another world after the body's death?"

I nodded. How could one not know of that? Did she doubt my intelligence so much that she asked me such a basic thing?

"A Bearer." She went on "is one belonging to one of the five great houses."

My eyebrows scrunched up. "Five houses? What are they?" I asked her.

"The Magnusons, Erdmanns, Trahernes, Daikis and Cadfeals. They are the ones who maintain maintain the peace between the world of the living and dead."

"Mortals have contact with the world of the dead? How is that possible?" I asked her, confused.

"We, the Bearers are special. One of out main objectives are to keep the dead out of our world. Our blood is a treasure which we cannot let to go waste."

"So what you're saying is that my parents were Bearers too?" I said, my voice lightly laced with incredulity.

"Yes, Alexa. One of your parents are supposed to be a Bearer but in your case, it's different. Both your parents were Bearers. You are much more special than the average Bearer."

"And how can I be sure that your are speaking the truth?" I asked her suspiciously.

She laughed. "Don't you believe me?" She said in between laughter. "I had no idea that Arthur's daughter would be so oblivious that she even dismissed the fact about her bloodline as a fantasy."