Part 10

September 1542

Hatfield House, Hertfordshire

Robert and I took full advantage of Kat's absence and Blanche's unwatchful eye. I was free for the first time in my life, with no schoolwork, no forced responsibilities. Truth be told, I should have spent this time with my guests, but I did not. I spent every waking moment with Robert. I decided that my dress that had been worn to the lake that first day was now my play dress, and once I stopped fearing the dirt and embraced it I had so much fun. Robert and I chased frogs and hunted snakes. There was an old swing hidden in a large oak on the grounds, and once we found that we spent hours taking turns swinging. Robert would always push me when it was my turn.

Once we had breached the wood, we climbed all the trees we could, and we ran and ran and ran. We chased one another and laughed. We talked of the animals we saw and we even caught a glimpse of a doe one morning. I do not think I had ever had better conversation, for it was not contrived. It was the true and natural talk of youth.

On the evening before my birthday party, we found a small meadow overgrown with wildflowers. Robert made me a crown of beautiful tiny flowers and called me Queen Elizabeth when he put it on my head. Later I found a stick and decided to knight him.

"I shall call you Sir Robin, but only when we are together like this I think." He looked at me quizzically and I explained, "Not because you remind me of a yeoman or because you steal from the rich to give to the poor. Heavens, nothing that serious." I paused to be dramatic and raised my sword to touch the other shoulder; "You are Sir Robin, for you are a man in disguise. I feel privileged to be the one you show your true self to."

His face became very serious, and in the dim twilight he slowly stood so that our faces were only inches apart. His glorious blue eyes gazed into mine with such intensity that my heart began instantly to hammer. I did not understand what he was doing as he touched my arm gently, but the touch made me shiver.

He was suddenly smiling roguishly. His hand had reached mine and it just happened to be the one with my sword in it. In one quick movement he slipped the sword out of my hand, sprung back a few feet, and yelled, "Guard ye, filthy swine!"

Naturally, a fantastic sword fight ensued and a superb defeat. He slaughtered me and I was as humble as a mouse in my surrender.