Chapter 4

"Captain Ford, can I..."

"No."

"Please? I'll be quick! I just want to..."

"No!"

"But..."

"Dipper, I said no! Now if you don't quit asking, you'll be cleaning the hull of the ship with a toothpick!" Dipper flinched back, only half way abandoning his stubborn attitude. It had been a week since the arrival of the mysterious siren on the Mystery Hack, and no one but Ford had seen him since. The rest of the crew was trying to pretend like they weren't listening to Dipper and Ford's argument as they went about their daily routine, but Dipper knew they were hoping that the captain would say yes, and that they themselves may get a glimpse of the strange new prisoner. Dipper crossed his arms, glaring at his feet.

"Fine, it's not like I was the one who saved your life or stunned it or anything." He growled under his breath. Ford sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose, obviously aggravated.

"Dipper, that thing tried to kill me, and it could have killed you as well. I don't want anyone in any danger!" He exclaimed. Dipper narrowed his eyes and looked up at his uncle.

"Yet...it's right beneath our feet." Dipper countered. Ford set his jaw, glaring at the smart mouthed boy.

"You'd better watch yourself, boy. This is you're captain your talking to." He warned. Dipper shook his head, dropping his arms.

"No, it's not. It's my uncle, who filled my head with stories of the unknown, and the wonders of mystery. Who gave me one of his journals and let me help him catch a siren." Dipper told him. "Maybe Stan was right. Maybe we should have just forgotten the whole supernatural thing, if you aren't even going to let us see the creature. Some captain you are, if you won't even include your crew." Ford narrowed his eyes at the bold boy.

"Fine." He hissed, his eyes flashing dangerously. Dipper knew that he had crossed the line, but he was too close to getting what he wanted to care a whole lot. "You wanna see the monster? Alright." Ford grabbed Dipper's arm roughly and began leading him to the brig. There was light in Ford's eyes that made Dipper nervous, and he had a feeling that the angered captain wasn't just taking him here to see the siren. When they reached the dark room hidden behind a thick wooden door with a small window barred with glowing gold metal, Ford unlocked the many latches and knocked the door open, tossing Dipper forwards, following a few steps behind him. Dipper tripped and fell on the uneven boards of the floor, and he went sprawling. He got to his knees, standing up, and he saw drops of a golden liquid on the floor. The boy scrambled backwards, jumping to his feet. The siren was in his human form, sitting on the floor, ropes made of sharp golden wires wrapping around him and tying him to a rough wooden post in the middle of the room. His eyes were closed, his head resting against the post, but when he heard Dipper's movement, a grin spread across his beaten and scratched up face. His body was in a similar dejected state, but he laughed slightly, as if this was merely a picnic. He opened his yellow glowing eyes and bared his teeth in a sadistic smile.

"Ah, Pine Tree. I was wondering when Fordsy would think to bring you in here. You still got that whistle of yours?" The siren cooed. Dipper's hand subconsciously moved to the golden whistle around his neck, his eyes not leaving the blonde hair boy imprisoned in front of him.

"He does indeed, Cipher. And if you know what's good for you, you'll help us." Ford snapped. The siren smirked slightly, tilting his head to one side.

"Hmm...no." He decided, tilting to the other side. Ford tightened his jaw in frustration.

"Dipper, blow the whistle." Dipper's head snapped around in surprise.

"W-What?" Ford wasn't looking at him. His eyes were locked on the siren.