Chapter 2: Heritage

Someone shook her awake from the haze of sleep. She lept up, enraged. "They must have DEATH WISH to wake me up!!!" 

Corvan stood there, calm as always. "Get up, Lord Aeron requests your presence." Valeriana groaned, "Wanna sleep a little longer." then she slumped onto the bed, energy drained.

Poke

Poke

Poke

"Stop it!!!" Valeriana moaned again, her hands slapped Corvan's hands away. "Is their a stop button?"

Corvan just glared. "I said, Lord Aeron requests your presence." Valeriana just rolled over into her pillow, "That little lier, how dare he trick me before. I thought I was dead for sure! Wanna punch hi.........zzzzz."

Corvan shook his head, how he managed to put up with this girl he didn't know. "It is about your mysterious heritage!" 

Valeriana jumped up, tackling Corvan, "Oh, so he wanted me to go kick him right in his little-" 

"Valeriana," Corvan warned, 

Valeriana huffed indignantly and continued rambling, "Oh so now he wants to talk about it? So-"

"VALERIANA, they found something!" Corvan's patience finally ran out. Valeriana paused, then her eyes lit up. "Oh, then lets go!" Taking Corvan's hand despite his protests, she dragged him through the door.

"Stop this foolishness at once! This is undignified, I-" Thump. Valeriana dropped Corvans hand, giggling gleefully, and ran.

Corvan shook his head once more, how Valeriana acted was now getting on his nerves. He briefly wondered why he was showing so much emotions to her, but again, Valeriana is annoying enough to drive anyone up a wall.

He caught up to Valeriana easily, then overtook her in a series of long strides, leaving Valeriana huffing and puffing behind him. He raised a cocky eyebrow at her, "I will wait for you there!" 

Valeriana stopped, and put her hands on her knees, "Wait up!" she panted, "I am only human!"

"Half human, I think," Corvan corrected. He smirked as Valeriana glared at him. 

Finally they arrived. Serafina was there as well, she smiled at them, "Kids," she smiled to herself. "Lady Serafina!" she tackled the tall lady knight, "I haven't seen you for so long!" 

Lord Aeron stood aside, smiling his quirky little smile, "Ah, but it appears that we have some business to discuss, so if we can, have some silence! That would be nice."

Valeriana's smile turned into a heated glare, "YOU DARE, after all, may I remind you how I nearly died because of your foolishness?" 

"Ah," Lord Aeron replied, a mischievous twinkle in his eyes, "that was simply a harmless experiment." 

"EXPERIMENT?! Harmless my foot," she snorted derisively, "this is my life you are talking about!"

Serafina interrupted, sensing that things are getting a little in the wrong direction, "Now children, we have more important matters to discuss." Valeriana softened at her words, but still didn't let it go completely. "As long as that pesky little fly shut his trap himself."

However, Lord Aeron cleared his throat, completely disregarding Valeriana's threat and spoke,

"It appears that Valeriana is in danger."

Pandemonium broke out.

Serafina nodded solemnly, "I am afraid this is really true," sighing she continued, "and there might be some security measures taken."

Valeriana huffed, and snorted in derision, "What do you want to do? We are in the middle of a demon infested place, you know. Do you want to get guards for me 24/7?"

"That is exactly what we plan."Lord Aeron said gleefully, "A little to gleefully," thought Valeriana suspiciously.

Valeriana found her cornered. It seemed like everyone was against her. "Why couldn't life be simpler? I managed well before. Either I have gotten dumber, or life has gotten harder." 

-----------------------------------------------------------

That night, Valeriana dreamed.

The hooded figure drew a pentacle over the stone floor. She mumbled incoherent words as the lines glowed with energy. Shadows flooded out, dashing in different direction. Rapidly, it grew, larger and larger, overtaking the small space.

But the black figure did not tremble. She stood, the cowl draping over her face.

"Rise, Demon! Obey My Commands!"

Then a dot of darkness entered the school, spreading over the school. They had one target tonight. The girl's window was alight with flames, but that was of no concern. The demons leaped, claws scrabbling over the smooth stones. 

The darkness twisted and writhed, trying to escape. But the shadowed figure held out a hand, snarling words of power, and binding the demon.

Valeriana watched, paralyzed with fear as a serpentine  neck shot through the night, teeth glinting ominously as it was finally bent to the figure's will.

The night progressed as monstrous beasts loped just outside of the weak, flickering barrier, waiting. They growled and snapped at the thin golden veil that separated them from their prize. But the monsters seemed to stare straight at her. Their glowing eyes burned a hole inside her, and she shivered uncontrollable.

The hooded figure chuckled darkly, looking up at the sky. A wisp of darkness drifted down into the pentacle, as a voice entered her head.

"I am at your command."