Chapter 12: The Other Prisoners

Sorry guys for not updating for so long! Here it is!

Valeriana was struck numb by her discovery. There was no escape. No hope, no nothing. She couldn't just grow wings and fly.

So she bided her time, and waited, sneaking out to explore the terrain. She found that every week, a carriage drawn by winged demons would deliver packages from below. That had seemed to be the best bet. 

She had smuggled a small dagger from a spare room she had found, and mapped out the general prison.

Day passed slowly, and the demons started to get agitated. They kept whispering to each other, and Valeriana caught snatches of conversation about her. 

She prayed for a miracle, and one day, that miracle came, in the form of Chavi herself.

Her former friend called her to the dungeon. Valeriana tilted her chin defiantly, determined not to show fear, "What do you want?"

Chavi sneered, "Oh, just to tell you that you would be executed in two days."

Valeriana staggered, "Why wait then?"

Chavi shrugged, "The ransom has been denied. Our demands for the crown was evidently to much, even though our third prisoner is worth more than you."

Wide eyed, Valeriana stared at her. "Who are the second and the third prisoner?"

Chavi smiled, "Corvan's twin brother, and me."

Valeriana gasped.

"Corvan has a twin? He never told me." Despite the situation, Valeriana felt a sense of hurt and betrayal. Didn't he trust her?

Chavi just laughed, "He didn't know. What a lovely surprise!"

Valeriana lunged at her, and Chavi sprang back, her eyes glinting. Valeriana unsheathed the stolen dagger, and slashed. However, her clumsy and unpracticed hand only tore Chavi's pocket apart, and something shiny fell out. 

Chavi didn't notice. Valeriana stepped forward, hiding the object with her foot, and drove the dagger toward Chavi again. Chavi seemed to enjoy the fight and she taunted her, "You aren't worthy of being the 5th ranker! Look at you! Pathetic!"

Valeriana gritted her teeth as she threw the dagger, straight at Chavi's heart.

Chavi twirled away, as she too, unsheathed a weapon, brandishing it. 

Chavi thrust, and Valeriana felt pain explode across her abdomen, as the sword grazed her stomach. She slid, and as she did so, took the shiny object and scooped it into her pocket. Now, using her internal strength, she once again, hurled herself at her enemy.

Again and again, she fought. Her tired arms swinging and hacking, giving Chavi no time to defend herself. But her swordplay was a bit rusty, and she wasn't used to a dagger. The small blade was defected again and again with almost casual ease.

Finally Chavi spotted a weakness and lunged. Valeriana stepped back and feinted, but she missed. Chavi's sword whistled down from above, as Valeriana lost her balance. But she missed and Valeriana recovered quickly, sweat pouring down her face.

But once again, Chavi came, sweeping her sword in a wide arc. Valeriana ducked, expecting the blow to pass harmlessly overhead, but instead, the sword changed direction at the last minute and swerved toward her head.

This time, with the purest luck, Valeriana stumbled and the blow passed inches from her face, missing, yet again.

Panting, she looked at Chavi. Valeriana wasn't sure how long she could keep this up. Her arms and legs felt like lead, dragging her down. Chavi seemed bored as she directed her sword at Valeriana and struck.

This time, the blow found flesh.