Chapter 14: The Not So Dramatic Escape

Hey Guys! Sorry for not updating for so long! 

Teaser Part:

Valeriana carefully slid the silver key into the lock, and took out the mechanical wings. They were smooth and powerful, with complex gears around the edges.

"Wow, I never flown before. It is going to be so coooool!!!" she squealed.

She glanced at Cadell, expecting a cold reply, but he just nodded in silence. Valeriana sighed, she envisioned Corvan saying, "We're escaping, and you're thinking of enjoying it?! Unacceptable, this is a serious matter!"

Yes, life was so much better when Corvan was in it.

Valeriana blushed. Cadell looked at her quizzically, and frowned. Now she smiled, at least Corvan's trademark frown was there.

"Ummm... Are you okay? You are staring at me a bit wierdly."

Cadell's voice broke her out of her trance, and she realized that she was gaping at the young lord. Valeriana shut his mouth with an audible 'plop'.

"Right... Lets get going!"

Valeriana quickly strapped her wings on.

"Yahooo!!!!" Unable to contain herself, Valeriana rushed the descent, and leapt out the cave, and into the clear blue sky.

"Wait! You don't know how - " Cadell started.

"Weee....Ahhhh!!!" Valeriana's shout of joy turned into a shrill scream.

"turn the thing on..." Cadell finished lamely.

He flicked a button, and the mechanical wings extended. Then, Cadell flew out in pursuit of the falling Valeriana.

Valeriana felt strong, warm arms engulf her. She was abruptly reminded of Corvan. Cadell's face appeared beside her.

"I don't know how you managed to miss a big, red button. Dumb Witch."

The words were cold, yet they warmed her heart.

"Corvan, you big ass. I actually miss you."

After The Teaser:

Now, with the wind in her hair, and the sun in her face, Valeriana felt alive. She was free!

The wings beat mechanically, stirring the air around them and swirling Valeriana's long golden hair. She laughed, as she swooped down and skimmed the waves, rippling water spreading out behind her in an arc.

"Stop that!" a gruff voice yelled.

Valeriana turned and saw Cadell glaring at her.

"What?!" Valeriana shouted back indignantly. For a moment, a wave of nostalgia hit her. It was so like one of Corvan's arguments, yet it wasn't.

Cadell continued on, unaware of the internal battle inside her. "The waves might stir some slumbering beasts, and sometimes aqua demons could track wave movement back to us. We have to be careful!"

Valeriana didn't hear anything he said. She only imagined Cadell as Corvan, and her heart warmed as she heard the word 'we'.

"Stop it!" she chided herself. This was a serious situation, and Cadell, no matter how much she wished it, was not Corvan.

The rest of the flight continued in silence, and soon they were faced with another dilemma.

"Uhh... Valeriana?" Cadell asked her, anxiety in his voice.

"Yes?" Valeriana replied eagerly, unused to the gravity of the situation nor the silence. 

"Where are we going exactly?"