Prologue

Prologue

"What it's like to be a parent: It's one of the hardest things you'll ever do but in exchange it teaches you the meaning of unconditional love."

― Nicholas Sparks (The Wedding)

A heartbroken mother just a few hours ago got a call for herself and her loving husband, asking them- no telling them- to leave their sweet seven year old daughter and her protective ten year old elder brother. Being their mother she obviously refused to leave her children unprotected and parentless, but the caller guaranteed the parents that the children would not be harmed as long as the parents left the children on their own and did not contact them until further notice from the caller, still being sceptical the caller threatened to kill the whole family, without a choice the parents accepted the offer as long as the children was under protection and was not severely injured during the process.

The parents knowing that this might be the last time they saw they're innocent, young children, went up to the children's shared bedroom, the mother didn't want to leave her little angels no matter how much the caller threatened her and her family.

The husband feeling his wife's conflicting emotions and thoughts tried to calm her down, he knew that they had to do this; it was the best option for both them and their children.

The mother while saying her supposed final goodbyes to her darling little children knelt beside them and kissed them both on their cheeks. Telling them that even though they won't physically be there for the children to guide them, they will always be in the parents' hearts and minds till the very end. It broke the mother's heart to think that her children might forget her and her husband... Their parents, as a result of their absence.

Little did the parents know that the children were only pretending to be asleep, so that they would not get into trouble for being up later than their set bedtime. They heard every single word that the parents exchanged with the mystery caller that was trying to split their family up. They didn't want their parents to leave them alone, even though they did not have a choice in the matter.

The daughter cried when she felt her parents leave her, she didn't want to be alone even if she's got her older brother with her. She wanted to run after her parents, beg them to stay, but the brother tried stopping her knowing that she would get into danger and he couldn't let that happen, not to his little sister, whom- he promised his parents- he would protect with his life.

But he wasn't quick enough to predict her moves, without warning the little girl jumped off her bed and ran as fast as her little legs would carry her, she sprinted down the stairs only to be stopped by her brother who was floating midair.

The boy was completely surprised to find his body hovering in thin air, soon he found himself in front of his sister, stopping her before she got into something she couldn't get out of. The little girl, as much as she tried to push him away, could not move her brother, so she used a trick her father once taught her when she was playing football with him and her brother, she faked left, her brother followed and without hesitation the little girl quickly changed direction and went right, heading towards her parents.

The father was too distracted watching the front door, waiting for the caller's henchmen to come kicking in, to take them away from their children, to see the little girl running towards them, but the mother saw her daughter bounding down the stairs and heading straight for them, at that same time a man and woman came barging in as if they didn't care what happened next as long as they achieved their mission, which now was to get the parents away from their children.

"NO!" the mother, as much as it pained her to do so, screamed putting up an orange coloured forcefield between herself and her children, but she had to because she knew that the man and woman who just kicked down their house's front door was ruthless and would destroy any obstacle that stood between them and their way so that they can get the job done.