Together But Separate

He popped open his laptop screen and quickly searched online for sharp looking suits. Of course sometimes he paid more attention to the models wearing the suits, but that wasn't the only reason he was online shopping. He wanted to stand out, but in a good way. He knew that he wouldn't attract anyone else's attention, and even if he did he'd refuse, but he wanted to look so good that John would have to keep forcing himself to look away as to not reveal the entire relationship. So the next day after school he ditched the study session, as he put it to John it was for 'necessary inquiries concerning prom', hopefully John's small brain couldn't piece those big words together. When he was sure no one was going to follow him he snuck into the shop, it was all advertised up for prom and everything, and Sherlock hoped to god that he wouldn't know anyone else mingling around the racks. He was twisting the card nervously in his pocket, he had retrieved it ever so easily from his parent's wallet, all he had to do was make sure no one was around, and then he'd have to give it back afterwards, which was just as simple of course. He saw one junior he recognized, and he kept his head low, but other than that there weren't many people around. Sherlock picked the one suit that he had found online, shooing away the sales attendants with the fake bleached white smiles, and tried it on in the dressing room. The suit was pure white, something he thought would be a nice contrast to his dark curls, and had a cream colored shirt and tie. It looked stunning on him, and he could only hope that John would feel the same when he revealed his outfit of choice. After checking a double checking that everything fit right and there were no loose strings, Sherlock took another quick look at the numbers Mrs. Hudson had written and changed back into his own clothes, which didn't look too different than some of the merchandise they were selling. He knew this might bring up some suspicion, but if they asked he'll just somehow prove that the suit was his already. There were no questions asked though, about the card or his choice of outfits, and he walked easily down the road back to his house, without a care in the world. Tomorrow he would be at prom, with John, of course it would be awkward and a little bit lonely, but afterwards they could dance and be freely in love with each other without objections. Sherlock couldn't wait, and then, after their school was over, after graduation, they were free to drive as far as they wanted, they could start a life where no one could ever find them and it would be amazing. Sherlock really, really hoped that John wasn't exaggerating that part, because the moment he could he'd pack a bag and leave everything behind. Because what did he have other than John that was worth staying for?    

     When Sherlock woke up on Friday he had barely slept a wink. He was so excited, he was so nervous, he was so flat out terrified for what the day and night would bring that he had just stared at the ceiling all night and expected himself to wake up even though he had no thoughts of going to sleep.
"Sherlock wake up, you'll be late!" Mycroft called. Little did he knew that Sherlock was already up, dressed, and doing his hair.
"I'm already up, go away!" Sherlock snapped back, and he heard Mycroft's annoyed sigh. The credit card was safely back in his mother's purse, hopefully she hadn't noticed it's absence, and Sherlock's suit was hanging inside the shower so it didn't get folded or wrinkled because he had no idea how to iron out clothes. He was spraying his hair with hair spray, some of the black market beauty products he kept hidden under the sink; because he couldn't let Mycroft or his father see that he owned such feminine products. Not like he had anyone to impress, but he knew that he wanted to blow John away with how good he was able to look. Sherlock grabbed his bag, too nervous to eat breakfast, and ran down the steps. He almost stopped to say goodbye, to who he didn't know, but he looked back up the stairs and realized that no one would realize he had left at all. Another reason he felt no guilt for running away. So he slammed the door shut and walked down the path to the sidewalk. It was a nice, clear day, not a cloud in the sky, and the birds were chirping merrily, as if they knew what a special day this was to all of the seniors. When Sherlock arrived at school he saw that he wasn't the only one trying to look good. Everyone looked runway ready, as if they were expecting last minute invitations to prom. Everyone was in giggling little packs, gossiping away about who was going with who and all that rubbish, he didn't give a crap if someone was taking their mother. He saw John, of course, who was being swarmed by girls, but he was looking quite bored, talking more to Greg than any of the flirtatious females. Sherlock was happy to see that, because he thought if this were the time for John to cheat on him his heart would rip right out of his chest. The first two blocks were almost unbearable, everyone was gossiping and bragging and wouldn't even pay attention to what the teacher was saying. In the end the teachers all gave up trying to keep their attention, so the class was able to talk freely while Sherlock read in the corner. Even he couldn't pay attention to the words though, he kept thinking about John, beautiful John, he would be in John's arms in less than twenty four hours, and that was enough to keep him going for another school day. When lunch came he waited anxiously for John to come around, he stalled at his locker so much that someone must have noticed that you couldn't put your books away for a good ten minutes. But when the halls cleared out there was a little blonde boy waiting for him at the end of the hall, smiling flirtatiously, which was almost enough for Sherlock to melt on the spot.
"Well look who it is." John muttered, as if he were surprised to see Sherlock around by his locker.
"Don't look so surprised." Sherlock laughed. They both walked down to the stairs, jittery from their nerves, and slipped through the crack to their own private oasis from the desert of bullies. They were kind of quiet, neither knew what to say. Of course they had the same thing in mind, prom, but neither wanted to bring it up in case the other wasn't as keen as they were to get it started. So Sherlock only nibbled halfheartedly at his sandwich and John devoured his own lunch, and neither said a word.
"Well, I guess I'll see you at math then, be careful." John decided as Sherlock grabbed his bag. The bell was set to ring any minute now, and he was ready to dash from this awkwardness.
"What's there to be worried about?" Sherlock asked curiously.
"I don't know, but I don't want you getting in trouble yet, we've got like six hours until prom and if you break your arm or something I'll be pretty ticked." John pointed out.
"I'd still attend even if I have my head bashed in." Sherlock assured. John smiled, but didn't say anything as Sherlock slipped through the gap and disappeared down the hall. The bell rang a moment later, but he was already done in his locker and heading off to math with Mrs. Pines. He saw John just emerge from the stairs, joining up with his friends, all who were asking him just where he spent his lunch periods. Sherlock hoped he had a good story, but it wasn't really his problem if John looked suspicions or not, as long as they didn't ask Sherlock where he went as well. Then someone might be able to put two and two together. All through third and fourth block he was tormented by Anderson, who kept asking him who he was going with and all that, as if he would ever tell him. When Sherlock asked Anderson who he was going with, the bully just muttered something unheard and went back to getting all the questions wrong on his worksheet.      

      The hours slugged by, but finally Sherlock was able to slip into his suit and look at himself in the mirror. He looked absolutely stunning, if he did say so himself, but he went into the bathroom to make a few adjustments to his hair and all that. He was nervous, even his reflection told him that, he looked clammy and embarrassed even as he looked at himself. What if John didn't want to take him after this? What if Mary or some other stupid girl looked fabulous and John ended up dancing with her all night, leaving Sherlock forgotten the entire time? Sherlock could only hope that John was as serious about their relationship as Sherlock himself was, because he couldn't handle heart break, not now, not ever. But as the minutes passed he knew there was no time for doubt, there was only time for happiness, dancing, and secret love. Finally, as he was just done with his hair, there was a knock on the window, and he knew his ride was here. Sherlock's heart leapt, was he supposed to have flowers or something for John, chocolates? Why hadn't he thought about this before his date was knocking on his second story window? Sherlock walked over to see John, smiling at him, in the window, and opened it up nervously. He hoped John wouldn't blame him for not thinking of the necessary dating accessories.
"You look breath taking!" John exclaimed, falling into the building and getting shakily to his feet. In his hands was a little box with a flower in it, a corsage or something, which was kind of what guys gave girls, but the thought was amazing no less. John was wearing a simple black suit with a purple tie, maybe a spin off of Sherlock's purple shirt or something, like a brand or something. Either way Sherlock literally stammered over his words, trying to express just how amazing John looked himself.
"Wow." Sherlock muttered, the only thing he could piece together. John just laughed, planting a quick kiss on his mesmerized lips and opened the box with the flower on it.
"I got this for you." John said, taking Sherlock's hand and sliding the flower bracelet on it, which made Sherlock blush even more than he should.
"Thank you." Sherlock muttered.
"You seem nervous, everything okay?" John asked.
"Well, I thought that I should've gotten you flowers or something, sorry I didn't think of that until..." Sherlock started, but John only laughed.
"Oh come on Sherlock, everyone knows that flowers aren't your responsibility."John pointed out.
"No one knows anything about this, so I really hope they aren't discussing the flowers." Sherlock shrugged, smiling shyly.
"Exactly." John agreed. Sherlock sniffed at the flowers, which were roses and other white flowers he didn't really recognize.
"Will people ask who gave this to me?" Sherlock asked. John frowned, as if he had just realized that as well.
"Maybe you can just put it on later." John agreed. Sherlock nodded in agreement, sliding the bracelet off and placing it on the bed gently. "Don't want Anderson getting the right idea now do we?" John laughed.
"Never does anyway." Sherlock agreed.
"Ready to go then?" John asked.
"If you are." Sherlock agreed. John stepped closer, wrapping his arms around Sherlock's neck and kissing him gently. Sherlock didn't protest of course, after John seemed satisfied he kissed him back, as way to show that he was just as into him as John was.
"Stay away from the girls okay?" Sherlock asked as they broke apart, headed for the window.
"Of course, the same goes for you, I'm sure they'll be lining up once they see you wearing that." John decided, opening the window and crawling out onto the tree once again.
"No one's going to want to dance with the freak." Sherlock muttered, more to himself, and thankfully John didn't hear, because he would've gone into a big rant about how much that wasn't true. Sherlock wasn't in the mood to get lectured right now. He followed John out the window, and when he reached the ground he made sure to rub off all of the bark and leaves that might have stuck to his white suit.
"Were does one even get a suit like that?" John asked curiously.
"The suit store, I don't know." Sherlock shrugged.
"Did your parents buy it?" John asked as they made their way around the house.
"More or less." Sherlock shrugged. John gave him a suspicious glance, but thankfully he didn't ask any questions. They walked down the street together, but once they got closer to the school they had to split up. John and Sherlock both wanted to give each other one final kiss goodbye, but Anderson came running up from some other street, ambushing John a couple of paces in front of Sherlock. Thankfully he was able to duck behind a business woman before Anderson noticed him though, so he was safe for now.