twins

Shit. Shit. I place my trembling hands over my stomach again and feel around, but I still can't find anything.

"Dude, what did it say?!" Scott asks again through the door. I unlock it and let him. He shuffles into the small bathroom, and I simply hand him the stick, not saying a word, avoiding his gaze and looking at the floor.

However I look up slightly to see his reaction; his eyes widen and his jaw drops open slightly.

"Dude..." He breathes.

"I know." I answer back quickly. "Scott, what do I tell him? Derek?" I ask nervously, my voice wobbly and my hands shaking.

"I wish I knew. Tell him the truth, I guess. You gotta tell him you're his mate first. Then remind him about what happened between you at Lydia's and he should work it out." Scott says uneasily.

"Huh. Okay... Well, I'll wait until I've seen Deaton again then I guess I'll go and tell him." I say slowly, still trying to figure this whole thing out. I don't realise I'm tapping so hard I'm close to hitting the table; Scott grabs my wrist to stop it. I look down at it then back at him sadly.

"How do I tell my dad?" I ask fearfully, my voice just a whisper.

Scott just looks back sadly, shrugging sympathetically.

***

I go to school as usual for the next few days, avoiding Lydia since she'll want to what happened. I'm not telling her yet, not until I've told Derek, which will be after I've visited Deaton again. However, as I'm putting some books into my locker, I hear the family clip of high heels approaching. I hold my breath, shutting my locker and, slightly flinching, turning around.

"Stiles." she says sternly, and I frown at her.

"What." I answer bluntly, squinting in a pissed off way.

"What happened? Are you...?" Her eyes widen and her teeth grit together, encouraging me to continue.

"Look, can we not talk about this, please? You know, here?" I say, looking around at the passing students in the hall. She sighs irritably.

"Did you see Deaton?" She asks, ignoring me.

"No." I lie. "Not yet."

***

Two days later

Scott and I drive to Deaton's together; it's been a week since our last visit. I nervously walk in, not being as rude as last time.

"Stiles, take a seat on the bed again." Deaton smiles, pulling on his gloves with a snap as they got his wrist.

I slowly wobble down onto the chair, reclining slightly.

"Now, did you take the test?" Asks Deaton, pouring out the blue jelly onto my stomach, which makes me shiver slightly.

"Uh huh." I murmer, looking slightly to Scott for help.

"It had two. Two lines." Scott says, looking at my stomach with concern.

Deaton jut nods and plugs in the machine, then gets the barcode scanner thing and starts rubbing it across my stomach. I flinch at the cold, and peer round to try an see the screen of the machine next to me.

"Uh huh..." Deaton murmers, squinting slightly at the machine.

"What? What is it?" I ask hurriedly, not being able to actually see the screen.

"Well, there's definitely a baby there..." He murmers, and my eyes widen, my heart rate speeds up, and I inhale deeply.

"W-well... Is it okay?!" I ask with urgency, back to my rushed voice.

"They're fine." He chuckles.

"They?" I ask, one eyebrow raised.

"It's twins, Stiles." He smiles, moving the machine round for me to see. The image is blurred and shaky, but I can see them. Them. "Their heartbeats aren't quite identifiable yet, even by werewolves, as they aren't developed enough." He says, but I'm not really listening.

"Twins..." I breathe. Suddenly my face cracks into a smile. A wide smile. Though the small image isn't much, it's enough. They're real.

"Dude!" Scott coos from behind me, shaking my shoulder.

"Yeah..." Is all I manage, a lump forming in my throat. "Shit," I whisper at the picture, unshed tears glazing my eyes.

***

I drive from Deaton's to Derek's, dropping off Scott on the way.

When I arrive to his loft, I grab the print of the sonogram from my dashboard, stuffing it in my pocket, and head inside. I reach his door, slightly out of breath, and knock as loudly as possible.

Suddenly the door slides open, sending a blur of wooden panels past my eyes.

"Hey..." I say, looking up at Derek.

His eyebrows furrow, and he slightly tilts his head to the side. "...hey?" He says, more of a question.

"Uh, can I come in? We... Er, we need to talk." I say. Derek steps out of the way, his face still an expression of confusion, and motions with his hand for me to come in. I nod in thanks, and walk past into the large space.

"S'everything okay?" He asks, beckoning me to follow him to the couch. His concerned expression doesn't leave my eyes as we sit down next to each other.

"I don't know, to be completely honest..." I murmer truthfully, shuffling on the couch.

"Stiles, what's wrong?" He asks, suddenly worried, his eyebrows furrowing deep into his face.

"Uh, well, Derek... I- I'm-"

"Stiles, I know you're gay." Derek smile sympathetically.

I almost laugh. "No, Derek... I'm your mate." I say, holding my breath, waiting for his reaction.

"No, Stiles... Y-you're not my..." His voice trails off, his lips pouting slightly.
"I would know, right?" He says worriedly, but I don't answer his question.

"So, when we were at Lydia's, and we..." I trail off, hoping he can work it out himself. His eyes widen and he looks at me with disbelief. He nods along.

"Derek, I'm pregnant." I say, and his mouths drops open.

Neither of us say anything for a good five minutes; Derek simply states at me in awe.

"Y-you're... You're pregnant?" He asks unsurely, disbelief lacing his voice. I nod, looking at the floor.

Then I remember the sonogram. I pull out the folded picture from my pocket and hand it to him. He takes it from me, his hands shaking, and looks at me for permission to open it. I nod at him to go ahead, and he slowly unfolds it. I hear him gasp as he looks at it.

"It's twins." I say, gently pointing to the two foetus' in the picture.

"T-twins?" Derek stutters, his eyes still wide with shock. I nod, still unsure of his reaction. Slowly I place my hand over my stomach, and he stares at it for a long time.

But then his eyes start to brim with tears. I look up at him in surprise.

"You don't have to be involved with it." I say softly, placing a hand on his knee. He shakes his head and chuckles.

"No, that's not it. I'm-I'm happy. I'm happy to be the parent of your kids. I'm..." He trails off and a shaky smile spreads across his face. I laugh back at him then, very slowly, I lean in and kiss him. He sets his hands onto my waist almost immediately and leans in. I nip at his lips with my teeth and he runs his hands through my hair. Soon I'm almost on top of him, my hands everywhere; running up and down his back and adventuring into his thick brown hair. He flicks his tongue against my teeth, desperately asking permission for access. I grant, and let his tongue explore my mouth, to which I do the same to him.

Then I let the reality sink in; Derek, twins, mates, a family.