four

Mason tried to fight the sadness that flooded through her when she started to notice how distant Bella had become; just yesterday she had skipped school with Edward. Ever since the incident in the alleyway,  both Edward and Bella avoided the girl and she couldn't understand why.

"Monte Carlo? That's our prom theme?" Jessica's voice was laced with annoyance when she spoke.

"Uh-huh, gambling, tuxedos and Bond. James Bond." Eric told her upon hearing her complaint.

"Oh my God." Angela spoke with a smirk when she saw something through her camera.

Mason averted her attention to what everyone around her was gawking at and gasped. Getting out of his silver Volvo was Edward Cullen, and Isabella Swan. Mason clenched her jaw and scoffed before walking away, into the school.

"Mason! Mason Connors!" A voice she knew all to well called out for the tenth time, making her stop.

"What do you want?" 

"A-Are you ignoring me?" Her friend asked.

"I was trying to." Mason crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes. "What do you expect Bella? We were attacked in an alley, i was punched by the way, and because your Clark Kent came to save us you think everything is okay? We haven't talked in a week because you've been so far up Edward's ass that you've forgotten about your best friend. What kind of shit is that?" Mason was pissed, to say the least.

Bella was speechless, staring at her best friend. "Mason, i didn't forget about you. I'm sorry if I've made you feel like that. You know I've never really had a boyfriend and now that i do i guess i'm trying not to ruin it. You know me, always messing things up." She tried to joke with a small laugh.

"So you ruin your first friendship?" Mason tilted her head.

"Please don't be mad, i can't take that right now." Bella pleaded.

"And you think i can?" Mason asked, knowing that she still hasn't told Bella about her mom.

Bella sighed and looked down. "Come over later, maybe we can talk. Unless you're too busy with Jacob." The pale brunette smirked.

"Hilarious..." Mason smiled sarcastically. "I'll be there after school." Mason walked away before Bella could see her blush.

How did Bella know about her and Jacob? Not that there was anything to know except for that fact that they had spent almost everyday together since the night he kissed her cheek. They were just friends and nothing more, but deep down, Mason wanted to be more. 

●●●

The events that led up to this moment in time was something Mason could have never imagined. Mason had been awoken by a frantic call by Charlie Swan. He was hysterically telling her about Bella leaving and how her and Edward broke up. Mason called Bella over sixty-four times and texted her double that. Her anxiety was at its highest and when she got the call that Bella was in the hospital, she didn't think twice before jumping into her car and racing there.

Sitting in the hospital cafeteria shouldn't have felt so foreign to Mason, but having Charlie being the one sitting across from her instead of her stepfather, was what was so different to her. Bella had a broken leg and multiple other minor injuries. Minutes later, Renee came to tell them that Bella was awake. Both Mason and Charlie were fast to stand up, but Mason sat down, allowing the Sheriff to visit his daughter first.

A week ago, Mason and Bella had made up and everything was fine. They talked everyday after that and the thought of losing Bella made Mason gag. 

"You should eat something sweetheart." Bella's mom spoke.