ten

Embry had insisted on driving to his alpha's home. It was a ten minute drive from Jacob's and Mason hadn't spoken one word. The house they pulled into was just like Jacob's, small and secluded. Except, this home was more home-y. It had color and flowers decorated the entrance.

"Pay up, she didn't puke." Embry exclaimed.

Jared rolled his eyes and handed over five dollars. 

"Told you she was tough." Embry smiled.

Embry stops the car, which is Mason's, and opened the door to let her out; but she doesn't move. 

"Wait, we should go back. Make sure Jacob's okay." Mason told them.

"I hope Paul gets some teeth in him. Serves him right." Jared scoffed.

"No way! Jake's a natural. You see him phase on the fly? He was protecting his girl, ain't nothing stopping him. Another five says Paul doesn't touch him." Embry bet.

"Easy money. Paul's been at it longer."

Now standing on the porch, Jared turns around when he doesn't hear Mason, hitting Embry on the shoulder, they both turn to watch her staring blankly.

"Come on in, we don't bite." Embry waved her over. 

"Speak for yourself." Jared mumbled, smirking at the brunette.

Mason, who had somehow heard him, warily gets out of the car and joins Embry after Jared walks inside.

Embry grabs her forearm. "Oh hey, about Emily, just try not to stare. It bugs Sam."

"Why would i stare?" She asked, but Embry had already walked inside

Mason hesitantly enters behind Jared and Embry. She sees Emily, at a counter, popping fresh muffins out of a tin.

"You guys hungry? Like I have to as-." Sam's fiance asked with a laugh, but stopped after turning around and seeing Mason.

She understood why people would stare, on one side of Emily's beautiful face was a scar; it ran from her hairline to her chin, three red lines that pulled down her eye and twisted her mouth.  

"Who's this?" She asked about the stranger in her house while setting the basket of muffins in the center of the dinning table.

Jared, with a mouth full of food, answers. "Mason Connors, who else?"

Emily nods, recognizing the name and looks at Mason with a warm smile. "So you're the girl Jacob won't stop talking about."

"Yea. And you-you're all-" Mason stuttered.

"Werewolves? I'm just engaged to one" Emily could tell the girl was shaken up. "But these animals-" She slapped Embry's hand. "Save some for your brothers."

Mason cautiously approached the counter, keeping an eye on the door for Jacob.   

"Leave it to Jacob to get around Sam's gag order." Emily shook her head.

"He didn't say anything, or couldn't. I figured it out on my own." Mason defended.

"That's a wolf thing. Alpha's orders get obeyed whether we want to or not -"