On the 2nd Day of Christmas

On the second day of Christmas, you were my goodness gift

"Welcome," I chirped as the usual protocol when the glass door swung open. A pair of costumers walked – a boy and a girl – the latter was carrying a large amount of shopping bags in her arms and I silently chastised the guy for not helping her. Taking a deep breath, I asked, "Would you like to leave your baggage here?"

She nodded as she unloaded their bags onto the counter and I handed them a number so I would know which of are theirs. I tied a tag around their bags and heaved them to the ground, right next to the ones left here by the other costumers.

It was starting to become a tiresome routine, but I had no other choice but to live with it.

I straightened my back and plastered on an aching smile as I sat still on the counter, my eyes trailing to the sign posted outside.

Goodness Gift Shop.

For most of the year, this place was empty. Only the occasional buyers for birthdays and stuff come here, but once the holiday season hits, you couldn't take two steps without bumping into someone. I wouldn't want to brag, but this store has almost everything. From the withering flowers near the front to the weirdest gag gifts you can buy.

You would think that someone working in a place like this would feel nothing but joy.

Wrong, absolutely wrong.

Living on this pathetic salary and spending a good amount on it to pay my college funds, I want nothing more than to step down from this stool and throw my this red apron to the ground before stomping on it then burning it along with the rest of my problems.

But I'm to blame as well. I could always leave and look for a better paying job, but I don't know why I'm so attached to this place.

My pay was low because of the small income we get when it's not the Christmas season. The only time I get a raise is when it's nearing the holidays, only to be back to the small wage after the excitement has died down. When I was looking around for jobs last December so I could afford to buy some gifts from my friends and family, this place was packed.

They wanted help and I applied, since they were busy as it was, I started almost immediately. Since it was the peak of sales, I thought what I was earning was decent enough. It was only a few months later when I realize that it was a different case.

Maybe I couldn't leave because there's something about watching the faces of people going in and out of this store. They come inside wearing the most distressed faces and leave with a whole different expression. I can witness the relief of a man who has forgotten his wife's birthday as he pay for a necklace he picked out from the display case, I can sense the happiness of a child when he drags along a toy that his mother bought for him, and I can sympathize with the boy who was begging his girlfriend for forgiveness as he buys a gift.

The salary was definitely not worth it, but the experience was rewarding.

"Hey stranger," the door opened, letting a tiny gush of cold air enter the store. My best friend then strolled in, wearing a relaxed smile on his face as he approached the counter, "How's work?"

"Same as always," I grunted, finally getting rid of that plastic grin, "I need a good a drink after this."

He laughed at my misery before handing me one of the cups of coffee he was clutching in his hands, "Here, I'm sure your boss won't mind."

This guy is an angel!

I reached out and thankfully took the coffee from him, sipping the hot beverage, "So what are you doing here?"