Chapter Four

I stormed out of the office, shaking. I had been overcome by desire for a man that I had long been trying to avoid, and this was proof that my earlier thoughts had been correct. I was avoiding him because I wanted him.

I had been such an idiot, I actually thought he wanted me to work with him for my skills as an editor, but no, he just wanted to lure me into his office for a quick shag! Why now? He could have poached me years ago... Maybe some aspects of his father wanting me to work for the magazine was true then, it wasn't all just Harry and his lust driven ideas.

I sent Louise a quick text saying I was taking the rest of the day off to prepare for my new job. This was a nightmare, if I didn't accept the position I was trapped in a job I had long since outgrown. In fact, Louise would probably fire me for being stupid enough to turn down a position in such a prestigious magazine. I would have to take it and maintain a completely professional relationship with Harry, no more giving in to his charm! And definitely no more meetings with closed office doors.

I made my way back to my apartment in Chelsea and felt such relief when I walked through the door.

My father was a successful property developer and had managed to acquire the place for me when I moved to London. Ruby had been my roommate for a long while and I had loved living with her. After she and Harry broke up she moved in with her sister who lived in Surrey, taking a break from city life, and before I knew it she was moving in with Alex. Since then I had lived alone and as much as I missed Ruby, I did love having my own space.

The walls in the apartment were cream and adorned with quirky frames filled with photographs of me and my friends, vases of flowers rested on the scrubbed down, cream furniture. I had strung bunting and fairylights around each of the rooms and it was just very cute and very cosy. Maybe it was a good thing I had never met a guy I wanted to settle down with, I don't think they would be able to put up with my girlie interiors, Charlie had always hated the scented candles and overflowing bookshelves.

I flopped down onto the floral sofa and wrapped my cashmere cream blanket around my shoulders. Today had been a very long and horrible series of events. Not only had I had to face Harry after years of avoiding him, I had also nearly slept with the guy! What had I been thinking?!

I felt my phone buzz and a number I didn't recognise popped up. I answered without thinking.

"Isabelle Rose?"

"Belle, Belle it's me. Please don't hang up. I think you got the wrong idea before, my father wanted you to work for me and I agreed as I love your work. What happened in the office... I wasn't expecting it. I wanted it, yes, but I didn't think for a million years it would actually happen!" Jeez could he not have just given me a day to sort my head out?

"Harry, what I said in the office - I meant it. I accept the job but nothing is going to happen between us. Whatever you say, I don't trust you and I know who you are and what you're like. Nothing romantic will ever happen here. We are colleagues." I sighed. A part of me hated what I was saying, this was the only time I had felt like this about anyone and I was throwing the opportunity away, but I knew it was wrong and my job, and best friend, were more important.

"Very well. See you on Monday." Suddenly he was curt and formal. I was surprised, even though it was the thing I had just stated I wanted. He hung up and I felt deflated. I needed to get drunk. It was a Friday night and the answer was: wine.