King of Hearts Ch. 16

"How do you find somebody anyway?" I asked the next day as we lounged around my living room.

"I could read their minds," Jack offered.

"I could ask the celestial spirits to look for him," Kyle suggested.

"I could pattern his movements and see where he would go next from what we know about him," Nil turned a page in his book and I stared at the three of them. Why did I have three people who could have found the guy already being lazy?

"It's our nature," Jack replied to my unspoken question and I slapped his arm.

"Alright, the first one who finds him gets a prize," I said agitated. I needed to stir them up somehow.

"What kind of prize?" Kyle questioned curious and three pairs of eyes landed on me. Well this was awkward. I had no idea what to give them....

"Kyle, you'd get a new teddy bear. Nil, you'd get a special edition of a one of my favorite books signed by the author. Jack...um...you'd get a date with me, without anything bad happening this time," I informed them and within three seconds there wasn't anyone besides me in the apartment. "Well that's special." A chuckle escaped my lips and I stood up. As I straightened up the messy room, I thought of the last time they left me alone and I hoped that I wouldn't get ambushed again.

"Having a bit of trouble being ambushed by royals, darling?" a smooth voice said from behind me and I whirled around to come face to face with a very rich looking woman. High heels, tailored suit, diamond jewelry, complete with the fur coat stood in front of me.

"I don't mean to be rude but who are you?" I said keeping my distance and the red headed woman smiled at me. It, oddly enough, did go up to her green eyes with amusement.

"Hearts, darling. Queen of hearts," She graciously told me.

"Oh...I'm Mina Towers. It's nice to meet you," I said putting out my hand and she took it, her smile widening and I blinked. She didn't look like she was about to kidnap me.

"I'm not. I have no purpose to kidnap you. No, I just wanted to introduce myself. I saw that you had become the Dove of an Ace and I wanted to say hello. I have to admit, you're not what I expected," Her calm voice weaved through the air and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. Something was off about this woman and I was hoping it wasn't anything too bad. I was tired of having to rely on Jack for help.

"Why are you really here? You wouldn't come just because I'm the Dove of an Ace. Tell me the real reason," I demanded and the woman's smile disappeared.

"So frank! Who knew the little dove had the voice of an eagle? Interesting. I'm here because I feel like it. I don't need a reason to see you do I?" She responded still pretending and I held back a sigh. I didn't need this right now.

"Look, I know you didn't come here just to say hi. You can hide behind you're fur coat and smooth voice all you want to but do it outside of my house," I instructed her and she flopped on the couch in an unladylike way. Startled, I was about to ask what she was doing before the fur coat and diamonds melted into her skin. Her body warped and before me was an average woman in jeans and a casual shirt.

"I hate pretending anyway," she sighed and slouched on the couch.

"Are you really the Queen of Hearts? I thought only clubs could do that," I interrogated and she grinned at me.

"Only clubs can do that," a much quieter voice said from beside the girl and I looked at the man standing beside her. He had dark everything. He could probably fade into the shadows if he needed to.