King of Hearts Ch. 21

The dimension we landed in turned out to be something out of a science fiction novel. A craft of some sort was sitting on a cold, deserted planet without any notice of how the craft came to be there. I wasn't worried about the cold climate or even the fact that if we stayed too long here we might die. No, what I was worried about was the fact that Dorothy and Fortson were shooting little balls of something at me, and it stung like a mother! I was going to kill them if one of them didn't end up killing me first. Cursing to the high heavens, I ran for my skin and found myself behind a giant boulder.

"Come out, Mina! We're trying to get you to develop your skills! You know we could spend years here and go back and it would only be a day later then when we left? We call this space the..." Frank shouted happily.

"Entertainment space! I know!" I yelled back irritably and Dorothy appeared in front of me.

"You just read his mind," she congratulated me and showed me a huge ball of the mysterious substance. "What is this called?"

"Judging Crystals," I answered confused and hoping that she wouldn't hit me with it.

"Exactly. Did you know that before?" She questioned and something was off with the way she said it.

"No..." I replied and she smiled showing her teeth. That was it! She wasn't moving her mouth! Which means I was...mind reading?

"Crap!" I dodged out of the way of the incoming J.C. and started running again. The Jokers seemed to be having a great time torturing me and I was getting agitated. I shouldn't be running around in another dimension! I should be at school teaching students and wondering what I was going to eat for lunch! These two though...they cause all of this to happen. If they hadn't been employed at that school...

"Then you would have met Jack anyway," I reprimanded myself and ran harder. I may not have wanted this job but I got it so I had to stick with it. Even if that meant getting a little hurt in the process.

With my new goal in mind, I stopped and turned to face my attackers. If the two Royals had been even a little concerned by the sudden change in demeanor, they didn't show it. Instead, they kept hitting me those damned crystals that hurt like hell. Putting aside the stinging pain, I closed my eyes and concentrated. I had been able to do that and see a ghost so why not try that to make myself disappear? It seemed to have worked because when I opened my eyes again, I wasn't getting hit by those idiotic crystals and I was really happy about that. The Jokers had disappeared so whether or not they were copying me was a problem. How was I supposed to defeat them if I couldn't see them...or rather how were they supposed to teach me? Confused and mildly alarmed, I found myself staring at a giant boulder. This giant boulder wasn't a normal one you'd find in my dimension. No. Instead it turns out to be a giant boulder dog. Yes. A dog.

I found this out when I was staring at the rock and it started to move. A piece of it did in any case. I soon formed the conclusion it was a canine when it stood up and had the shape of man's best friend. Not that this doggy would have loved men very much. In fact when Fortson suddenly came into view the pooch seemed to have a fit.

""Woah! Hold it Fido! I'm not the enemy here!" He boomed at the huge animal and it actually stopped moving. "I need you to find out where the woman with this scent is. Can you do that for me?" The dog nodded and had to lie down to sniff the object he had in his hands. Almost immediately, it got up and bounded my way. Hastily getting up, I started running away. I seemed to be doing that a lot here. It was a great chase. The dog seemed to be having the time of its life and I was trying not to fall behind and get eaten. That's when it occurred to me. What if I just made myself larger than the dog was? The only problem was that I didn't have any way to distract him to be able to concentrate hard enough. Fixating on the image and smell of another me wasn't easy but I was able to manage it. Seeing another me sprint off in into the distance was weird and very awkward to take my mind off of. Pondering how I was to get bigger than the mutt, I didn't observe my surroundings until I looked down at the annoying itch in my foot. I was gigantic. The spaceship looked just about my size and I speculated on the where it would be programmed to go...if it was programmed at all. Making myself visible, I searched for the dog. I found him looking up at my face attentively. He didn't seem to see me as an enemy but more as a human...from what I gathered from his chaotic thoughts. I would never suggest reading the minds of a dog, ever. It's not that interesting. Plus, it appears to give you a headache.