Chapter 5- To Rome

"How is that?" I asked looking to him again 

"Well, you see this man is a desendant I think of the current Pope," He said quite plainly as he pointed down at the man lying lifeless on the ground. His blood leaking outwards in little streams along the crack in the floor. "I think also that he is one of the many children of the adultress Abreille Karlotto. I know her from the one time my brother Mycroft ever used his gifts to aid someone in an issue. As I understand it she gallops around seducing powerful men and having their children in order to black mail them. Many of her descendants are unknown yet I think that we can infer that there were three of them involved in this case."

"Because of the three 'K's" I nodded to myself "Three of the Karlotto family then. How do you know that they are belong to the pope?"

"We can only infer that this one is completely. His co-conspirators might originate from another though it is probably that they are of the same father and, obviously, mother. Mainly because these children took her last name rather than their father's. Many of her offspring have surfaced some time later with their father's last name instead. Considering that they might be the Pope's children is easy because they would be able to get more from him through secret than by exposing him. As such they took her last name to conceal their true heritage so that they may profit from his wealth and power. This man can also be known as the Pope's son because of the pinna and over all roundness of the lobe they share in the ear. Ears are one of the most unique features that are inheritable. They are, I think, as convincing a piece of evidence as a finger print might be when comparing possible relatives." He explained 

"So does this help us?" I wondered aloud.

"Of course," Sherlock nodded seriously "This ploy served us well. We may infer that he resided near or at the Vatican itself. The jeweler that made this pair of cufflings is from that region, I am familiar with his work. My brother Mycroft is terrible partial to the jewelers cufflings in particular. He has quite a collection and the jewelers signature is clear here on the back of the cufflings. A small emerald is always hidden on his pieces."

"To Rome then?" I looked to him

"To Rome," He smiled excitedly and swept out of the cell toward the exit.

His long strides carried him all the way out and to the dog cart still waiting outside while I jogged along to keep up with him. I was quite a bit shorter than him and had a hard time matching his pace. We swung into the dog cart and headed back to the flat to fetch Watson. Holmes was sure that he would want to assist us in the investigation. 

"He always says he dislikes it, but if that were true why would he always insist on documenting the cases that I solve?" Holmes said more to himself than to me as he starred out the window as we bobbed along back to 221b Baker street. 

When we reached their residence Holmes bounded up the stairs and turned into their rooms yelling out Watson's name.

"Watson!" He cried again as I entered the room.

We found John still sitting on the couch in front of the fire reading another paper. Holmes ripped the paper from his hands and flipped through it. 

"It appears there is a train to Dover in 2 hours. We can then take a steamer over to France in the morning." He smiled and handed Watson back his paper all crumpled up.

Watson gave him a look and Holmes rolled his eyes at him.

"Dont pretend you dont despise the Daily Jounel. Ever since they denied you in publishing one of your our little adventures you've disliked them." Holmes waved his hand and plopped himself down in his chair.