Chapter 16: A Ticking Metronome

Cameo's POV

***************************

We sped through the streets toward the back entrance to the Vatican that the servants entered through. We pushed our way through the little market place and finally found ourselves in front of the little wrought iron gate that opened up into a court yard that could be followed through to the servant's quarters. 

Sherlock pushed open the gate and peeled around the wall. Watson and I followed after closely and we pulled away from the wall to run across the pretty little quart yard and into the low ceiling-ed entrance to the servant's quarters. Before anyone could see our sudden appearance after all of us disappearing for three days we lurched down the hall way and turned into our old rooms that had been left the way we had abandoned them. 

We took turn's going behind the divider and slipping into the uniforms they had provided for us to wear. When I was finished I went to sit on the bed beneath the hanging crucifix. I dug underneath the pillow and pulled out the rosary I had stuffed underneath a couple of nights before.

"I was un-aware that you were very religious." Sherlock commented as he watched me from the little rickety chair across from the bed."How could a woman who kills with such ease be of faith?"

"Im not," I shook my head "It just represents hope for me. I find a deeper meaning behind the little wooden beads and the cross at the end. Symbolism is what humans make of it."

"So you are not of any faith?" He asked peering over his pipe as he lit it and waved the match out.

"I am of faith," I nodded "I believe in God in the christian sense though I do not follow all of the teachings the bible holds."

"For example: thou shalt not kill?" He questioned

"The fact that I saved your life bothers you?" I answered dryly

"As I said we had it under control." He answered stubbornly.

"Right," I nodded "Perhaps next time I'll just let you die."

"Would that be in your interests?" His cold eyes attempted to see through me as they so often did. I smiled at him slyly.

"Believe it or not I have grown somewhat fond of you over the course of our adventure." I eyed him from under my eye lashes as I slipped the rosary around my neck and dropped the cross at the end beneath my shirt.

"Have you?" He leaned back as if relaxed but his eyes remained sharp and pinned to me.

"I wont say it again." I shook my head. "On occasion I tell the truth.Mainly to people whom I enjoy the presence of." 

"And I am included in that list?" He smiled to himself smugly.

"Yes." I answered "As I said I have grown quite fond of you."

He watched me for a minute with his lips wrapped around his pipe. After a long moment of just staring at each other, a sort of battle of wills. He smiled at me. I was filled with frustration. The man was impossible. Who would ever think that such a small movement could have so much hidden meaning. A movement as small as an upward twitch of the corner or one's lips. 

"Hurry up, John," I snapped, turning away from Sherlock's still prying eyes. 

"Yes," Sherlock stood abruptly "We have something rather crucial in the course of history about to unfold."

I pulled the rosary up from under my shirt and clutched it in my hand. Feeling the little wooden beads resist the power in my hand that could crush them. My eyes jumped up a fraction to see a pair of shoes directly beneath me. I looked up at Sherlock with a questioning look. He blinked and lifted his hands carefully.