Chapter 9- "God's" Plan

John Watson's POV

******************************************

Our week at the Vatican had gone by rather fast and now we sat in the small room that Sherlock and I shared during our time here serving the officials in the church. Sherlock sat cradling his head, with his legs crossed underneath him on his bed just across from my own. 

We had'nt been able to extract anything useful from information about the case from any of the servants. They all seemed to be quite oblivious to the strange crimes that were going on inside the walls of this large church. Even the friendly servant girl Selene Tucci, who had been the most accommodating to me, who did not attempt to cover my English decent or accent. The others had been somewhat prejudice to me, they did not seem to have a care toward the American' Cameo or Sherlock who pretended to be an Italian man devoting himself to the church. He went by the name Adriano, the name of the brother who had killed himself in Cameo's cell that night only a week ago. 

Through out the time we had spent at the Vatican, while Sherlock and I had been gaining the trust of the servants and Cameo had been gaining the Pope's trust. It was this night, our last night that we intended to stay here, she was off using the trust she had worked hard to gain from him over the last week. How funny that it would only take a woman a week to get under a mans skin and get him to confess his secrets. That is, if it worked. If not, I think we would be in for a rude awakening tonight.

We heard foot steps approaching outside the door. Sherlock's head snapped up and we shared a glance as I retrieved my pistol from under the pillow of the small bed I had slept on restlessly for a week. We watched as the handle of the door opened and revealed Cameo standing there with a broad smile playing across her lips. 

She strode in and shut the door behind her with her foot. She heaved herself down in the little wooden chair sitting beneath the crucifix that hung on the wall. Sherlock stood abruptly and began to pace in between the beds and chair.

"The information?" He asked

"I think it was easier than stealing a child's toy," She remarked with a laugh "My methods... worked quite well."

"Well," Sherlock sat with a huff on the edge of his bed leaning forward toward her eagerly "Regale us with your tale."

"Why of course," She smiled and leaned back in her chair with the utmost ease.

Cameo's POV (an hour or so before)

**********************************

I made my way up to the Pope's room with his evening snack upon the tray I carried. I had volunteered for it especially and as I ascended the stairs I allowed myself a steadying breath as I opened the door to his chambers. 

I entered quickly and set it upon the table in front of the grand mirror. It truly was an amazing room. Fit for royalty and yet it should be. Considering that this man was supposedly chosen by God. I began to smear the butter on the crackers he liked to partake in before he went to sleep. I heard him let out a sigh as he climbed into bed. I brought over the small tray and put the readied crackers and cut up orange with in his reach. He smiled kindly at me and I smiled back. 

Over the course of the week I had spent here the Pope had grown quite comfortable with my presence. He requested that I spend more time with him than any of the other servants. I thought that the other officials would notice and then care, however I had been wrong. From my observations I was able to deduce that this wasnt too uncommon for him. The gossip I overheard from the other servants is that he has a new one at least every month. I intended to take full advantage of our relationship. I needed information and I would get it.