Chapter 3 New york city

Once a year at Matilda's school there was a contest. Each student voted for someone who they thought was the best student in the entire school. The student with the most votes won a free week long trip to New York City and got to miss class! Most kids campaigned for the trip, like they were running for class prez or something. Matilda decided that it would be good for her reputation if she tried to win the trip. So she started putting up pictures of herself holding an NYC snow globe. And treated all the kids to free sundaes at the ice cream shop. everything seemed good but Matilda still had a feeling that some kids still thought of her as a creepy goth drab weirdo. she asked a pretty girl named Jessica to help her. Jessica rolled her eyes as if this was obvious, "you need a haircut! you look like a witch! and you may be wearing bright colorful clothing but you still aren't fashionable!"
Matilda felt her eyes filling with tears, "I like my hair.."
Jessica gasped and pulled Matilda to the bathroom. "You look ugly! Come on! This is a fashion emergency!'
Jessica flew open the door and began rustling threw out her backpack. she pulled out a pair of pink leopard patterned scissors, "here they are! my best hair scissors!" Jessica pushed Matilda onto the counter. Matilda sighed.
"Do we have to do this?"
Jessica thought. "Yes. But we'll need some hair dye and hair spray. I'll come to your house after school."
Matilda looked at her big bulky black watch. she had a free period. it was 2:45. that meant she could go home.
Jessica waved and ran off to math class.
Matilda pulled her backpack on and walked to the school entrance, she searched the rows of bike racks for her bike. there it was. it was black with newly painted pink hearts. which had been painted over the pictures of skulls. Matilda huffed. The hearts sickened her. they weren't anything like the heart of a human body.
As she rode home she started to day dream, she was all in black again but everyone was still being nice to her. she woke up and realized that, that would never happen.
She opened the door of her house. "Hey Dad! I've got a friend coming over!" Her father zipped into the room, "You???? Have a friend??? That's WONDERFUL! Tell her she can sleepover if she wants! I'll go make the guest bed!" he ran out of the room muttering "will wonders never cease!"
Matilda sighed. At that moment the doorbell rang.

"Hi Jessica."
Jessica grinned. "Let's get to work!"