eight

wish tree // red velvet

"Why do you hate me?" Taehyung asked her as they walked towards the cafe he suggested. It was snowing, and Mina couldn't resist taking a step closer towards him, desperate for any source of warmth she could get. She hated times like this when her uniform prevented her from staying warm. They walked side by side, shoulders close enough to brush, yet never did.

"Because." Mina paused, thinking about her answer. "You keep pestering me. If you think you're so hot, there must be a lot of girls who want to spend time with you. And yet."

"That's because you're the first girl who doesn't care about my looks. You don't think I'm attractive?"

Mina bit her lip. "I - I don't think you're unattractive. The point is, not everything is about appearance."

"So you don't like my personality?" he asked.

"Pretty much."

"But you don't even know me." he furrowed his eyebrows. "And I don't know you, either. But I want to."

"Taehyung, stop fucking with me."

He chuckled, that low laugh that made Mina's stomach flip. "I'm not, Mina. Why do you always think I'm toying with you?"

Because you're really hot, and I'm not, she thought. But she didn't dare say it aloud. Taehyung stopped in front of a quaint little cafe and opened the door, nudging his head for Mina to go in first.

"Hot chocolate's really good here." he said, staring at the menu.

"Not really a fan of chocolate."

"This hot chocolate will convert you, Mina. It's a taste of heaven. " he grinned.

"I think I want some tea." She stepped up to order. "Hi, can I get -"

"Two hot chocolates, please." Taehyung interrupted, handing the money to the cashier. Mina opened her mouth to protest, but Taehyung pressed a finger to her lips before she could get a word out. "Shh. You can thank me later."

They got their drinks minutes later, and settled down at a table near the window. Taehyung started at her again, just like they did at their first meeting, and Mina felt just as uncomfortable if not more. "What are you staring at?"

"You."

Rumor has it Kim Taehyung likes you, Mina, Jaehee's words replayed in Mina's head. Here he was, coercing her to get drinks and staring at her intently. But it didn't mean he liked her. At least, she didn't do anything in particular to encourage him; she clearly made it seem as if she hated his guts.

"Shut up, Taehyung." she replied finally, taking a sip of the hot chocolate. It was delicious, and would've even been "heavenly" as Taehyung described it, had she been a big fan of chocolatey foods.

"So, Mina," he started, moving his body closer further across the table and closer towards her. Mina leaned away. "Do you like me?"

"What?"

He chuckled. "It's a simple question. Yes or no would suffice."

Mina bit her lip anxiously, suddenly feeling hot and claustrophobic. Taehyung smiled cheekily, amused at her flustered expression. "No. I don't like you." Mina said, trying her best to sound as if she meant it.

"Because you don't know me, right?"

"From what I do know, you're pretty obnoxious and self-absorbed."

Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows, almost looking disappointed if Mina squinted hard enough. "Wanna get to know me, then?"

"What do you want me to know?" She asked bluntly.

"What do you want to know?"

"I want to know why there are rumors going around saying that you have a thing for me." Mina said, immediately regretting her words as Taehyung's face reddened ever so slightly.

"W-where did you hear that?" He croaked.

"My lab partner Jaehee heard your friend Jimin talking about it. I want to know if its's true."

Taehyung was silent for a long time, staring blankly at her. His jaw worked vigorously, and Mina's suspicions were confirmed.

"I - wow." Mina said. "I can't believe it. First of all, I'm pretty sure we only met like two weeks ago, and second, if you hadn't been such a dick with the whole secret santa thing, you'd be way out of my league."

"Ok, I'll admit, I took the gift exchange a little too far. I thought it would be funny, and I also didn't think that you'd actually call the number and yell at me." he glanced at her from under his long lashes, and Mina's heart leapt. "I'm sorry."

This was the most serious Mina has ever seen him act, and it almost scared her to see this side of him. "What am I supposed to do now?" she chuckled darkly to herself, wishing he'd go back to his normal, loud self.

"I know you still don't like me, but what about I take you on a study date?"

Mina gave him a look of incredulity. "You, Kim Taehyung, studying?"

"You looked like you needed help on that Biology research paper. And fun fact about me, I passed AP Bio with flying colors." he winked.

"I don't believe you." Mina laughed.

"Wanna bet?"

---------

writing this in the hotel room! trying to write as much as I can before Christmas :)