Misery without Tears

Suzette's POV

I look through the window, and it takes all the effort in me not to throw myself into the beautiful landscape. How I wish all the hard things in life to be over.

"Suzette?"

I turn around to find Alec standing at the door.

I don't even know why I bother to turn to check who it is. Only Alec can come into my room--no one else but me and him.

"Yes?" I question.

"Miss Lizette has awaken, and she honestly looks a bit bug-eyed about the whole situation."

"Very well," I reply as I refocus my gaze towards the window.

"Wouldn't you like to see her?"

I feel the floor pull itself from under my feet, and I grab onto the windowsill, as I now frequently do at the mention of me interacting with that demonic, screaming lunatic.

"...Majesty, I apologize for being so blunt," he says, "but why would you allow Lizette here if you won't even look at her?"

I feel something like a brick force itself up from my stomach into my throat.

"I... just..." I gasp as I try to take in air, "want her safe."

"That's quite nice of you for doing that for your twin sister."

He leaves before I have the chance to claw his eyes out. I fall to the ground.

But I do not cry. Once the deed is done, no more tears can be shed.

The deed was already done several years ago.

Tears are worthless.