The Beginning

??'s POV

"What happened?" a man screams as a servant from the castle knocks on all the doors, alerting everyone to wake up even though it's late at night.

The moon is full but rusty brown and casts a lonely and ominous glow in the entire kingdom. The black crows, never appearing during the day or even at night, fly in the skies in large groups, coloring the sky the deep color of black. No stars can be seen because of the misty clouds--no brightness...

No hope.

The man who screamed is greeted by a young boy, holding the newspaper in hand, bug-eyed.

The little boy screams, "The king and queen are dead!"

The man feels a chill travel down his back.

Dead?

Then... who would rule over them?

"The king and queen are dead!" the boy repeats, his voice echoing in the foggy hills. "The king and queen are dead!"

"Who is to rule us now?" the man cries out, tired of hearing dreadful news over and over again out of the voice of a little child.

The boy reads the newspaper quickly, searching for the answer.

"The king and queen have two daughters, Lizette and Suzette, with Lizette being the oldest--"

"So that seven-year-old brat will rule a kingdom?" the man questions.

"I'm not done reading. I'm only five, so give me a minute!" the boy complains.

His skin turns paper white as he reads over the next few lines.

"Well, what is it? Get over it!"

The boy's face, like that of a ghost, turns to the man.

"One of the twins has murdered the king and queen," he whispers. "According to this, Lizette killed them, with blood on her white dress, holding a knife. Suzette is the ruler now."