f o u r

f o u r

February 18, 2013

"He hasn't visited yet, has he?" Jamie barged in through the front door, breathing heavily as he bent over to try and catch his breath. He looked like he ran from the bus stop, which was probably what happened, but he had a good reason. The 10-year old didn't want to miss Jack again, so he's been waiting all week for the day the winter spirit said he'd drop by again. "Once a week," he promised, "I'll be back."

Elsie's head snapped up at the sound of his voice, taking in a deep breath to let it out jut a second after. He had scared her for a second. "Sh! You don't want to wake your sister, now do you?" She warned softly, giving him a warm smile to welcome him home from the glorious Monday back to school. She knew 5th grade is a bit of a challenge for anyone, since you learn at a much faster pace then what you're used to. It's stressful at times, and she understood that as well. Because of that, she always had a warm batch on cookies on the oven when he gets home. This, he claims, is why she is the best cousin in the world. His mom laughs every time she comes home and sees the empty plate of treats and swears El will have him fattened in no time.

"Sorry," Jamie winced, giving her a grin before slinging his heavy backpack against the wall. "Just excited to see Jack!"

That little statement made Elsie snort in amusement. "The cookies are where they always are, kiddo."

He rubbed his hands together and started for the kitchen, leaving El alone on the couch to continue reading a book she found on her aunt's bookcase. It was a romance novel, and for the fact she found a lot more where this one comes from, she had her suspicions. It made her a bit sad to think her aunt wanted love when the man she thought was giving it to her left. It was right when Sophie was born, and that year was not at its best already. El remembers waking up in the middle of the night from her mother's constant 'sh'ing and crashes every time the woman bumped into something. Her mom was trying to make it to the kitchen, but she seemed preoccupied with whoever was on the phone with her.

"Shh.. Emily, sweetie, calm down," Mrs. Abernathy repeated, over and over, bumping into the hallway bookcase as she was passing by her daughter's door. She was awoken by her cellphone's weird ringtone, which Elsie changed without her mother's permission, and if the fact it was 2 o'clock in the morning wasn't enough trouble, the news that would soon come was even worse. The sudden noise in the quiet atmosphere caused El's eyes to snap open, thinking maybe a robber was in her home, but when she heard her mom's voice, it eased her a tad. The words that left the woman's mouth next made it return, though.

"There had to be a good reason for Robert leaving, Emily. He wouldn't just walk out on you and the kids!"

But he did.

And now, as Elsie thinks back to the memory, she always saw something different in her uncle's eyes since her baby cousin was born. He looked too distant and distracted, like he was bored and only wanted to leave. Her aunt was too blind to see this, as was every one else, but Elsie saw. She was sure Jamie did, too.

"Best one's yet!" Jamie exclaimed, walking back into the living room with the plate of chocolate delight in hand.

Elsie let out a content sigh, closing the book between one of the homemade bookmarks her cousin made for fun. She watched him kick off his tennis-shoes and shed his jacket, suddenly feeling happier than she's been in quite a few weeks. She had her moments, of course, but at this moment of time, she felt like nothing could ruin her mood. Everything was going.. well, perfectly. At least, as perfect as it could get. With her two cousin's home and safe, she felt like a proud mother to have these two in her life. And when her aunt gets home, the 17-year old will already have dinner on the table and everyone will be okay and away from all that stress society brings.