t e n

t e n

August 11, 2013

"Favorite color?"

"Um.. yellow."

"Favorite food?"

"Noodles!"

"Noodles?"

"Are you judging me, Mister-I-like-everything?"

Jack's eyes shimmered at that simple statement, a laugh passing his lips as he shook his head. "No, no, why would I ever judge my girlfriend?"

Elsie grinned, shrugging carelessly while she brought a warm mug to her lips. The hot herbal liquid trickled down her throat, adding onto the warmth from her insides. Jack had most of the credit, but the tea could dream.

The two were seated in El's new apartment that was quite small, but it was for her and her only.

Okay, sure, Jack stayed there every night, and yeah, I guess you could say he was living there, but only some people knew that. Jamie and Sophie knew, because they came over every week to hang out, or El came to them which wasn't a problem at all. The 10-year old boy (now 11-years old) had his birthday only a week after February ended and, since then, his friends knew that Elsie Abernathy was his cousin and that Jack Frost was her boyfriend. So, as you can see, not many people knew about the much-in-love couple, but that really didn't matter to them.

Their dates?

They'd either go somewhere secluded and make it snow, maybe go ice skating on the all-too-famous pond, chill in Jamie's house watching movies, but all in all, they got to know each other more every time.

Apparently getting to know each other's favorites slipped their minds, so right now, they're making it happen. Elsie's hair was still the color of a dark red apple, but instead of having it tied up into a perfect bun like before, it's lying lazily over her shoulders in a wavy mess. Jack loves it; twirling the slick strands between his fingers, trying to recreate the fishtail braid she did one time, or even just picking up a hand full and letting it fall back down just to repeat his actions.

Jack's appearance hasn't really changed, except for the new flustered feelings he gets in his cheeks. He's got the pale complexion down pat, but with Elsie sitting across from him like so, his face gets its rosiness back. Their butterflies won't ever go away, of course, but  they're used to it and embrace it instead of pushing them to the side.

The two lovebirds constantly found themselves sitting across from each other in bed in the middle of the night, sheets draping over their crossed legs and coffee mugs in hand. Elsie Abernathy would sip hot tea, where as Jack Frost would slurp cold milk. They'd talk about anything, whether it was about the next winter or how her job hunting was going. So far, she's had two people call and ask her if she was still up for it, but she's having a hard time choosing. Jack said to go with what makes her happiest, but she smiled sadly and looked down, mumbling out a low response. "You make me happiest, but I guess that's not a job choice, huh?" He'd roll his eyes and kiss her forehead, telling her that no, it wasn't, and that she makes him even happier.

A little argument would take place, but no matter what, Jack always won.

It had to be something about how he smothered Elsie's face in kisses, even though she'd deny it and say she just got tired.

As of right now, they're just staring at each other and randomly laughing from the quietness, sipping their drinks and listening to the satisfying and content silence hugging them. This is usually when Jack Frost sees the small bags under his girlfriend's eyes, the drowsy sparks in them, and how she's blinking too slowly to be functioning this late at night. He should've saw it coming, but her smile distracts him so.

He saw everything, like every night, so his slim fingers wrapped themselves around her mug and placed it on the bedside table, glancing back to see her chapped lips forming a small smile. He crawled over a little bit, pecking her lips lightly just to leave the same tingly sensation before he muttered something against the smooth skin of her cheek.

"Let's go to sleep, babe."

She nodded.

The routine went like so after that: Elsie lies down and pulls the covers over her body, watches Jack do the same before they share their fair share of smiles, he gives her a sweet kiss on her lips, she curls up into his chest, and after a silly soft spoken conversation and a few weird puns, they end up falling asleep in each other's arms like in those cheesy novels her aunt reads.

El thinks her boyfriend overreacts when he says he's really cold because, sure he makes her a little chilly, but it's not like she'd freeze to death. That's why, even in the dead of summer, she wears pajama pants and sweaters to bed.

Jack thinks his girlfriend worries over the most pointless things, and even though he finds it too cute watching her forehead crinkle and lips purse, he has to constantly remind her that she can get it done and not to fret about it.

Surprisingly enough, neither of the two ever think about when Elsie leaves the world and Jack still has to be here. It's a sappy subject, and you'd think they'd mention it at least once, but if they taught each other anything, it was to enjoy the present while they had it.

That's why Jack's hoodie, the one that's hanging on El's doorknob, has a shiny little ring in its pocket.

That's why Elsie's good morning surprise won't be a bed-in-breakfast or her bedroom ceilings sprinkling snow, but a missing boyfriend and a note taped to the closet door.

That's why, when she walks out into the tiny living room with an over-sized T-shirt on and a messy head of hair, she'll see a trail of notes that she'll follow.

That is why Elsie Abernathy will ultimately make the decision to become Elsie Frost, just before planting her cherry red lips onto his pale pink ones.

the end.