Chapter 1 - The Auditions

Dedicated to Shaba_Smith for helping me make this awesome book cover? Isn't it nice? :) 

Now, for the first official instalment of In The Limelight... :D 

"Titanium" by David Guetta ft. Sia is on the right! ---> Enjoy! (It's one of my favourites! Don't you love that song? :D )

***************************

Chapter 1 - The Auditions

Linda: 

I gazed back at the full-length mirror that was half the size of my bedroom. A girl with tired, blue eyes stared right back at me.

I couldn't sleep at all, yesterday night. Part of the reason was because I was excited and at the same time, a little worried for the auditions. While the other part of the reason...was worrying about finding a second job if I have unfortunately failed to make it through the auditions.

Yesterday, I had quitted my job at the clothing shop in a moment of fury and irritation. 

Ah, why was I so rash? Couldn't I just put up with the manager's unreasonable ways? I mentally chastised myself. I wasn't somebody who had a glib tongue. I did not have a way with words. And that was my Achilles' heel.

No time to think about unhappy stuff, you are going for auditions Linda! the annoying voice said in my head. But it was right. I had an audition to go for, and I was going to ace it, no matter what, especially since now I had a lesser source of income.

With that thought in my mind, I grabbed my purse and slipped into my black Converse shoes, the pair that I have bought with almost a quarter of my life savings. 

I've decided to wear a dark green halter-neck with my favourite pair of faded skinny jeans. Those were, of course, from my treasured collection of clothes, shoes and accessories. I wrapped a colourful beaded bracelet around my wrist, all of them pristine and shining under the fluorescent lights in my room. It was a birthday present from Carter

It's a lucky charm, he had said as he tied it around my wrist a year ago; I remembered his words.

"Hope you'll work," I muttered softly as my fingers absentmindedly stroked the smooth glass beads.

*************************

As I neared Maxiwell Entertainment, my heart began to thump faster and faster. I tried to take in deep breaths to calm myself, but failed terribly.

This was my first time singing in front of such a huge audience. All right, maybe it was not that huge. But every single one of them are professional singers or judges. They would know if you went just a teeny-weeny bit out of pitch, and could manage to find fault with your singing, even though it appeared or sounded flawless.

This was unlike singing in front a bunch of ignorant, whiny kids who had Nutella chocolate smeared on their faces.

I walked up to the front desk that was situated right in front of the entrance. The receptionist who sat behind the desk had straight black hair, and plastered a wide smile as I neared her.

"Good morning miss, how can I help you?" she spoke in a chirpy voice, before I got a chance to do so.

I was taken aback by her hospitality. Not many people treated me with such warmth and friendliness, I guess. Ah, the perks of being poor.

"Umm...I'm here for the auditions."

The blonde girl's smile widened even more, if that was even possible. "Oh, that!"