Chapter Six

🔺Kylie's BookStore

*Zane*

  "Zane. are you in here?" I heard Kylie call

  "Last stall," I called rubbing the paint down. "What is it, baby?"

  "I'm worried about Mara," Kylie huffed hopping up on the fence.

  "I'm sure she'll be fine," I smiled walking over to her. "Besides, I've been meaning to speak with you."

  "About what?" she asked wrapping her arm around me.

  "I was thinking about inviting her over for Chrismas," I said. "I know its our first Christmas together but..."

  "You want her to feel welcome," Kylie finished. "I think its a wonderful idea. "I'll call her in a little while, but I was wondering if you could drop me off at the store."

  "Your not supposed to be working for another two weeks," I reminded her.

  "Don't remind me," she grumbled as I carried her to my truck. "I just want to check in on my babies."

  "You do realize that the books aren't living right?" I asked as I pulled out of the driveway.

  "Zane," she growled. "They are to living there's life on every page of a book."

  "Ok," I said. "I'm sorry."

  "You better be," she grumbled.

  "Dani will come here after school," I said walking her in.

  "Ok," she said smiling spinning around her store.

  "I have no idea how you've lasted this long without begging someone to bring you here," I chuckled kissing her. "I'll be back in a couple of hours, if you want to go home before I get back call my dad."

  "Alright," she giggled. "Now go, I'll be fine. Shoo out."

  "Crazy woman and her books," I chuckled getting in my truck.

*Travis*

  "Kylie called earlier," Mara said as she straightened up the kitchen.

  "What did she want?" I asked looking up from the article I was reading.

  "She and Zane were inviting us to a Christmas Brunch," she said excitedly. "Its going to be on Christmas around noon."

  "Both of us or just you?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

  "Both," she said. "So at some point between now and Friday I need to go look for her a gift."

  "We'll go to town in a little while," I smiled. "I have a few phone calls to make."

  "Ok," she smiled. "Thanks Travis." She ran up the stairs and a few minutes later I heard the shower turn on.

"Eddie" I said as soon as he picked up.

"What is it?"

"I have a feeling that we're being watched," I said walking to the office.

"Any evidence?"

"No, I'm getting some cameras put up later today," I sighed.

"Hey," Eddie said. "Don't be down on yourself. It wasn't your fault."

"Gotta go," I said quickly and hung up.

  "Ready?" Mara asked poking her head through the doorway.

  "Yeah," I sighed. "Let's go."

  "You ok?"

  "I'm fine, let's go Christmas shopping." I joked as we climbed into one of the trucks I leave here.

  "So, what does she like?"" I asked as I pulled to a stop in front of the diner.

  "Books," Mara chuckled. "Dani is a book fanatic or bookworm."

  "Uh, ok," I said thinking. "You do the book store, I'll do the shopping center."

  "Deal," Mara said smiling. "Meet up here in an hour."

  "Good," I said and I watched her cross the street before I headed to the other side of town.

  "TRAVIS," the manager of the electronics shop yelled as I walked in. "Long time, old friend."

  "Yep," I chuckled punching his arm. "How's married life?"

  "Amazing," he chuckled. "What can I help you with?"

  "I need a security kit," I chuckled. "How'd you know I needed something?"

  "Only time you ever come here," he said and headed to the back to get what I needed.

  "Thanks," I said as he rang me up. "I'll try to stop when I don't need anything."

  "You better dude," he laughed and I headed out. Killing time I walked around some until I noticed something in a store window. Studying it for a minute I thought 'Why not'.

*Mara*

  "So your coming for Christmas Brunch?" Kylie asked as I helped her put books on the shelves.

  "Yeah," I smiled. "Thank you for inviting me, I'm sure you wanted to spend it alone since it'll be your first one together."

  "Actually it was Zane's idea," she said ringing up another customer. "Merry Christmas."

  "Really?" I asked shocked.

  "Yeah, I mean I was thinking about inviting you, but Zane said it before I could." Kylie laughed.

  "If you don't mind me asking what did you get Zane for Christmas?" I asked studying the back of the book I was holding.

  "Well, I didn't exactly by him anything," Kylie said and I looked up to see her blushing.

  "Kylie, is there something you want to tell me?" I asked walking over to her.

  "I'm pregnant," she said rushed.

  "Oh My..." I said before I hugged her, "How far along are you?"

  "Two weeks," she said excitedly. "I confirmed it the other day when I asked him to drop me off here. Casey and you are the only ones that know."

  "Your planning on telling him on Christmas," I stated.

  "Yes," she mumbled. "I'm so nervous, what if..."

  "No what ifs," I said hugging her, "He's going to be so excited."

  "Who's going to be excited?" someone asked from the doorway and I noticed Travis and a confused looking Zane.

  "Nothing," I said smiling at Kylie.

  "Ready?" Travis asked and I nodded.

  "Are you sure I can't pay for these?" I asked Kylie picking up the books I was getting for Dani.

  "I'm sure," she smiled. "I'll see you in a couple of days."

  "Yeah," I said and walked over to Travis.

  "Hungry?" Travis asked while I put the books in the truck.

  "A little," I said closing the door and followed him into the diner.

  "Mara," Sam said as soon as he saw me. "Its been a while since I saw you, an who's this fellow?"

  "Hi Sam," I smiled. "I've been a little busy and this is Travis."

  "Hello," Travis said sliding into a booth.

  "I like him," Sam said before asking what we wanted.

  "Crazy old man," I mumbled as he walked off and Travis laughed.

-----------------------------------

Sorry, this chapter isn't the greatest. I've been sick the last couple of days.