Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Ariana was able to finish the rest of her school day without a problem. Charlie hadn’t looked at her once. Whatever Jax told him worked. She was relived to say the least and made sure to be polite on the ride home and thank him. “I really appreciate your help but you didn’t have to do that. Why did you do that?” without worrying about Charlie her focus turned to Jax. She glanced at his face as he drove home, Jolene’s giddy smile filled her mind’s eye and she agreed Jax was very good looking. She wouldn’t let her mind think about that aspect farther, he was her new step-brother for heavens sake.

“You looked like you could use a hand. It’s no big deal.” He said simply while keeping his eyes on the rode.

“No one’s ever stood up for me.” Ariana didn’t plan to admit that detail but it slipped past her lips and she couldn’t take it back. She did not want him to feel sorry for her, that was actually the last thing she wanted. “Thanks anyway.”  She chuckled weakly and turned her eyes back to the window.

“Why was Lowell giving you a hard time anyway?” he asked, probably to kill time as he drove.

“Because he can? I don’t even know anymore.” She was glad to see their new house in her sights. She couldn’t wait to go home and lock the world away by hiding out in her room.

Her mom and Julie were home. “How was school?” her mother asked.

“It was good. How was your first day?” Ariana asked Julie as she sat her backpack down near the staircase and joined the younger girl in the living room, she would much rather listen to Julie than face her own miserable day.

“It was great, I have to take the bus home now but it’s not too bad. This girl I hated last year moved away and this really cute boy sat with us at lunch.” Julie explained with her words rushed together from excitement.

Jax made a face of discomfort to hear his sister talking about boys. He said a quick hello to Mary Jane then headed down to his room.

“I’m making lasagna, you girls want to help?” Mary asked as the room grew quiet.

“Sure.” Julie jumped from the sofa.

Ariana did some quick mental math, she had some homework to get done but if she went straight upstairs after dinner she’d have enough time to get it done before bed. “Yeah mom.” Ever since she could remember she always helped her mother in the kitchen, whether it was a big planned out dinner or just hot dogs. She didn’t mind bringing Julie into the tradition because she wanted her to feel welcomed, and like family.

Julie and Mary worked on the meat while Ariana was put on noodles and since her mother didn’t like the boxed stuff she started by making the dough. She used the island counter to mix the eggs, salt and flour.

“Ariana when you’re done mixing that can you go get the large oven pan?” Her mother asked.

“Where is it?” she wiped her hands on the nearby towel.

“Downstairs, that closet near the laundry room.”

Ariana nodded and went down to the basement using the inside door from the kitchen, there was also an outside door around the back of the house. Down the hallway were three doors; the closet, laundry room and last was Jax’s room. She opened the closet door and looked around; the pan sat on the top shelf. “Huh.” She tried to calculate a plan on how she would grab the pan from the top shelf when with her height she could only reach the shelf below it.

“Need some help?”

Ariana was getting used to Jax popping up behind her, this time she didn’t jump and her heart only raced a little. “I need that pan up there.” It would be easier for him to grab it then her idea which involved using the bottom shelf as a stepping stool.

Before she could move and give him space, standing behind her he leaned forward and reached up. Now her heart raced as if it might hit the floor any second. Her ribcage started to hurt as she forgot to breathe because when she did she smelled him and he smelled good.

“Here.” He handed her the pan, his voice like a soft wind through her hair.

This was awkward she thought, didn’t he feel it? “Thanks.” She said cheerfully to hide her own unbalanced emotions as she headed back upstairs. “Here mom.” She set the pan on the stove. “Where’s the pasta maker?” the problem with moving into a new house was the fact she had no idea how her mother designed the kitchen, what went where.

“Honey it was right downstairs, you didn’t see it? I’m using that closet for things we don’t use much to fit the every day things in here.” She explained.

Ariana started to feel like an idiot, this wasn’t supposed to be that hard. “No I guess I missed it.” she went back downstairs, determined that she wouldn’t let Jax bother her anymore because it wasn’t right to feel anything toward him, especially anything sexual, not had she was or anything. She reasoned to make sense out of it all; she wasn’t used to a guy being that close and that’s why it was weird. Yup that was it and soon it’d fade.

“Back again?” Jax asked from his bedroom doorway.

“My mom has decided to cook a dinner using none of the supplies already in the kitchen.” She answered and found the pasta maker on the lower shelf. “See ya.”

Over the next two hours the lasagna was cooking in the oven and Mitch returned home from work. Julie and Ariana were setting the table when Jax appeared from the first time since they got home from school.

“Do you like it down there?” Julie asked while placing the dinner plates on the table.

Jax shrugged, leaning against the counter. “It’s ok.”

Julie sighed, a sigh that said she was used to her brother’s short answers but she didn’t like them. “Is there anything you like about the new house?”

Jax flicked his eyes to Ariana and noticed her hazel eyes on him waiting for an answer. “Yeah sure.” He looked back at his sister. “Who’s this guy you like at school?”

Julie chuckled. “Nope not telling you. I am so glad we don’t go to the same school for this reason.” Done with her half of the table she disappeared through the living room.

Ariana glanced at Jax and didn’t know what to say; thankfully her mother saved the day and walked back inside the kitchen. “Time for dinner.” She announced.

Dinner wasn’t as awkward as the day before, everyone was starting to get used to the other person. It didn’t feel forced when Mary and Mitch spoke about their day then asked the kids what they did in school. It made Ariana happy to see her mother’s smile, it had taken her a long time to move on and it was about time she was happy. For that smile Ariana was willing to take on a few more awkward moments with the new members of her family. It would help if Jax stopped staring at her or at least if her stomach would stop doing flip flops every time she saw those powerful blue eyes.

She was completely clueless on guy-language, why was he looking at her? Was it because she was the new girl? Out of the whole group he didn’t know her until they moved in together. With Mary they had met times before while she and Mitch were dating. It had to be because she was a stranger and he wanted to know something about the girl he shared a house with. It couldn’t be something more; she doubted his stomach was doing back flips when she looked at him.