Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Ariana stared at the letter wishing the words would change and the fact Jax had told her goodbye wasn’t true. She tried to frantically think back to what she said that made Jax feel like he had to leave.

She started to cry as the sting of betrayal worked its way back into her heart. Jax had waited until she was downstairs to sneak in and leave this letter. He hadn’t bothered to say anything to her face, nothing.

If it was this serious then he should’ve tried to tell her last night while they were together. She started to feel like an idiot as she thought back to the times he did try to broach the subject and she told him no. She had just wanted to be in his arms without the weight of everything else. She wanted to forget about the lies and the truths they made her face.

No matter what happened he shouldn’t have left like this. Where had he even gone? Again Ariana was worried for his wellbeing.

She wiped the tears from her eyes and forced herself to think. If she wanted results she needed a good plan, her father taught her that.

Jax sighed as he pulled into the driveway. He knew this was the right thing for Ariana, she either needed to figure out if she could forgive him and they could be together or realize they had to breakup. Either way he needed her to make up her mind, he refused to go around anymore circles. She already knew where he stood. He was willing to go through hell if it meant they could be together.

Walking away from his home was a lot like hell. His father would understand and if need be they could talk face to face later.

With another sigh he pocketed his keys and got out. Pea rock crunched under his boots as he glanced around the lakefront cabin. He walked past the driveway and up the wooden staircase.

“Jackson Reed, my favorite nephew.”

Jax grinned. “I’m your only nephew.” He hugged the taller man.

Marc Reed was the little brother of Mitch Reed; Jax’s father. While his brother had gone on and did the whole marriage/kid thing, Marc bought a lake house and mentored young werewolves who didn’t have anywhere else to go. He also had his loyal wolves by his side, his pack, to help the others. More than anything he and his wolves focused on keeping their existence a secret from the hunters.

“Come in, what’s going on with you?” Marc slapped Jax on the back and led him inside.

“I need a place to crash for I don’t know how long.”

“I always have space.” Marc crossed his arms and leaned back against the nearest wall. “I thought everything was good at home.” Jax had stayed with him for awhile after his mother died.

“It is. Mary’s great, me and Julie are getting closer. Dad’s happy.”

“I’m glad.” He liked to know his family was doing well. “So…?”

“I’m in love with my stepsister and she just found out what I am and all the lies I told.” Jax tried to keep it simple but even under the simplest terms it was still a big mess. He walked over to the large sectional couch and sat.

“This sounds like some soap opera shit.” Marc joined his nephew on the couch. “What’s the plan?” he never told anyone what they should or shouldn’t do unless there was a clear answer. He offered assistance and not judgment.  

“I want to give her time to think and we can’t do that sharing the same house.”

“Have you…?” Marc tried to find the word that wouldn’t offend him. “Mated her?”  When in doubt go with the proper term.

“Yes, she’s it for me.” Jax confessed. That day in the rain when they first had sex he knew he had given everything he had to her, his body, heart, soul, and wolf.

“Whoa, you got a little misty eyed. I’m ten years older than you and never have gotten that close to a woman. Tell me about her.”

“She’s beautiful.” Jax started. “She’s not the obvious type of girl you could see stealing a guy’s heart. But she’s the most beautiful girl I have ever seen and she doesn’t know it.” his heart raced and his mind drifted away as he thought of her. Her smile, her laugh, absolutely everything about her he loved.

Marc nodded, slapping his hands to his thighs. “You got it bad. Besides the obvious she’s your stepsister, what’s the problem?”

“She’s smart.” Jax said with a weak smile. “She’s not going to forgive me easily because of the attraction we share. I can’t stay there waiting for her to make up her mind and push me farther and farther way every day.” He told his uncle about the push and pull he already through with Ariana when he first expressed his crush on her.

It all came down to the fact Jax couldn’t see her everyday while she tore his heart into pieces. Was it selfish? He thought so but for the first time in his life he needed to be selfish in order to survive.

“It’s an honor having you here.” Marc said. “Stay as long as you want. Maybe you can give these newbies a better role model.”

“You don’t want them following in your womanizing ways and run from commitment?” Jax teased. Sometimes, most of the time, Marc felt like an older brother rather than an uncle. Out of the two of them, Jax was sure he was the mature one.

“Cute. I can see why your appeal has your girl running the opposite way.”

“Harsh.” Jax knew his uncle wasn’t serious, it was rare when he was, and decided to change the subject. “I actually need your help with something else. Something more in your area of expertise.”

“Lay it on me.” Marc was always up for a good challenge.

“I bit someone.” Jax felt like an idiot every time he thought back to how he let his jealously control him. “It turns out he had the gene dormant, probably from his father.”

Marc’s face tensed, his blue eyes, much like Jax’s own, grew wide. “Holy shit. Where is he now?” A newly turned animal was dangerous.

“He was going through the pre-change last night. I talked to him about everything and he knew how important it is to keep his change secret.”

“Speaking of that, what about your mate? Will she tell anyone?” Marc was carefree, a joker, but when it came to his race he was a warrior.

“No. She knows how mom died, she’s upset but I know she loves me and Julie. She wouldn’t do anything to harm us. ” Jax believed that with everything inside of his soul. “I’m meeting with him, Charlie, later. I want you to come and cover the basics with him.”

Marc opened his mouth as his eyes diverted to something behind Jax. “Shit.” He hissed. “I forgot to tell you something.”

Jax heard the light footsteps behind them. He looked and felt his chest tighten from shock and regret. “Jessica.” He hadn’t seen her in roughly three years. He turned back to his uncle for answers.

“She and her mother are here. Last month their house was attacked.”

Jax flashed back to the blazing fire he had witnessed, the sound of his mother’s screams. “I’m sorry.” He sucked it up and faced the girl who had once been his best friend. When they were younger they had been inseparable but after his mother was positioned with silver he dedicated all his time to her and once she died he crawled inside himself and shut everyone else out. He became the loner he was today.

“Long time no see Reed.” Her smile was closed lipped and tight. She wasn’t voicing it but he could feel her anger heavy in her scent. “Where’s everyone else?” she asked Marc.

“Your mother took Shelby out for breakfast, Thomas and Calvin went along for the free food. Andrew headed home and I have absolutely no idea where Nathan is.”

“Good going there, Alpha.”

Marc smiled sarcastically at the young girl. “I try. I’m meeting a newly turned later with Jax, you should tag along. He won’t be as hotheaded with a girl around.”

Jessica gave a mock salute and turned toward the kitchen

Marc reached over and slapped Jax across the arm. “This is going to be oodles of fun.”