Friend Zoned {4}

I cracked my eyes open and let out a groan. My throat was burning and my stomach felt completely off. I looked over and my eyes widened.

                “Gideon? What are you doing here? What happened?” I asked and winced at the pounding in my head.

                Gideon’s eyes open and he sat up, yawning and stretching. He paused mid-stretch and his eyes widened.

                “Benji! How are you feeling?” he asked in concern.

                “Like shit. What happened? Why are you calling me Benji?” I asked.

                “What do you remember?” he asked.

                I thought back hard. “Um…We went to Jude’s party.”  My head started to throb. “The last thing I remember is you and Jude going off to play beer pong.”

                “You got really drunk last night. You started throwing up. I was worried about you. You threw up half the night before finally stopping. I probably fell asleep about a half hour ago,” he said, rubbing his eyes. “You don’t remember what you had to drink?”

                I shook my head, a little afraid. “No. I don’t remember having anything to drink.”

                I checked the time and realized that it was only 4.47 in the morning. Gideon sat up and crawled out of my bed.

                “You better go shower Greyson. And brush your teeth,” he said, helping me up.

                I nodded. “Okay. You can use the downstairs shower,” I said, going through my drawers and tossing him clean clothes to borrow.

                I made my way into the bathroom and brushed my teeth several times to get the stale taste of puke out of my mouth. I took a relaxing hot shower. When I was done showering and dressing, and I took some pills for my headache and stumbled out into my kitchen.

                Gideon joined me a few minutes later, his light brown hair dripping with water. I had down some toast for both of us, and he grabbed it as it popped up.

                We ate our toast in silence. I was desperately trying to recall last night, but it just wasn’t happening.

                “Did my parents hear me throwing up?” I asked, suddenly panicked.

                Gideon shook his head, much to my relief. “No. They weren’t home when we got back. They didn’t get home until really late last night. You had stopped throwing up by then.”

                “Thanks for taking care of me Gideon,” I said gratefully. “This is one of the many reasons why I love you so much.”

                “Well, what else are friends for?” He offered me a smile. “You would do the same for me, Greyson.”

                I could almost hear the funeral march as Gideon happily escorted me to the friend zone.

                “Let’s just get to school,” I said with a sigh, my head clearing up from the pills.

                We went into my bedroom and I gathered my school stuff. I packed extra clothes for Gideon to borrow for soccer practice since his stuff was at his house.

                “Alright, I’m ready to go. I just want to grab a drink,” I said, leaving my bedroom.

                We went to my kitchen and I glanced at my mom. She looked over and her eyes widened a little in surprise.