Friend Zoned {14}

“Okay, yes, this is bad…but it could be worse,” Sonnet said.

                I was sitting in her bedroom, having gone over to her house and explained everything to her. She was sitting at her desk, looking thoughtful.

                “How could it be worse?” I cried.

                “Well, Jude could still be in the picture. He can’t hurt you anymore. Gideon would kill him. Knowing Jude, he’ll try something, but I doubt it’ll work,” she said with a shrug.

                “Sonnet, I don’t care about Jude anymore. I care about Gideon and Ethan. I’m hurting them and I hate it,” I said miserably.

                “I just can’t believe you actually had the balls to kiss Gideon like that,” she said with an approving nod. “You go Benji!”

                “Sonnet!” I rolled my eyes at her. “That is not the point here.”

                “No, but it’s an important point here. Anyways, just talk to Gideon. He’s freaked out because of Jude right now. And Gideon thinks he’s hurting you, while you think you’re hurting him. You morons need to freaking use your words,” she said sternly.

                “And anytime you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrain. Don’t carry the world upon your shoulders. For well you know that it’s a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder,” Sonnet’s speakers sang.

                “Sonnet! You played that song on purpose!” I snapped.

                “Yes, I did,” she said, grinning. She switched the song and turned her music down a little. “Anyways, you have to talk to Gideon. Do it tomorrow. He’ll listen to you, even if you have to slap him to calm him down.”

                “Great,” I grumbled.

                “Why do you find it so damn hard to talk to your own best friend?” she asked, looking annoyed. “You wouldn’t tell him about Jude, you wouldn’t tell him about your feelings, you still won’t tell him that the soccer team bullies you…Honestly Benji, do you even know what words are?”

                “I’m working on it! Leave me alone!” I whined.

                “No, I won’t leave you alone. I’m sick and tired of watching you and Gideon keep things from each other. If you two would just talk instead of keeping things to yourselves, life would be so much easier,” she said.

                “I’ll talk to him tomorrow,” I mumbled. “I promise.”

                “Yea, you better. Anyways, it’s getting late, so just stay the night here. You can borrow my brother’s clothes to wear to school tomorrow,” Sonnet said, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of her bedroom.

                “Mom! Benji is spending the night,” she said as she dragged me through her living room.

                “Alright,” her mom said. She and Sonnet’s dad were watching TV together.

                Sonnet pulled me into her brother’s room without knocking. Her brother looked up at us and scowled.

                “Sonnet, learn how to knock!” he said impatiently.

                “Shut up William. Benji needs to borrow some clothes for tomorrow,” she said, releasing my hand and beginning to dig through Will’s drawers.