Friend Zoned {15}

“Where’s Ethan?” I asked as I sat down at the lunch table the next day.

                “I don’t know,” Gideon said, looking around. His eyes shot to Jude’s table, but Jude was sitting there.

                “Well, the rich bitch doesn’t have him,” Sonnet said. “And Nate and Landon are sitting with Judeikas, so neither do they.”

                I pulled out my cell phone and texted Ethan, asking him where he was. Maybe he had just gone to work on something in a classroom?

                Still, I couldn’t help but worry about him. The kid had a big mouth, and he always pissed off the wrong people. I was worried someone was hurting him.

                “Hey, calm down. I’m sure Ethan’s fine,” Sonnet said, noticing my expression.

                “I hope,” I mumbled.

                I looked over and my face paled as I watched Jude, Nate, and Landon stand up together. They started walking towards the exit, and Nate noticed me staring at them.

                “What?” he snarled as he walked by.

                I remained silent. If they hadn’t gone after Ethan yet, me mentioning him might prompt them to.

                “Look who’s missing from the table. He thinks we did something to that pathetic loser,” Jude said.

                “You better not have laid a finger on Ethan,” Gideon said flatly.

                “I’ve been at the lunch table the entire period. I’m not going to touch your friends, Gideon,” Jude said. He looked at Gideon with longing and sadness. “I would do anything for you to forgive me.”

                “I won’t forgive you Jude. I can’t forgive you for what you did to Greyson,” Gideon said, a hard look in his eyes. But I could tell how upset he was over everything.

                “I’m the one who sent the soccer team after that bastard. Jude didn’t,” Nate said, glaring at Gideon.

                “I’m sure that Jude didn’t have a single thing to do with it,” Sonnet said innocently. “It’s not like he’s an over jealous asshole.”

                “You shut your damn mouth!” Jude snapped.

                “Don’t yell at Sonnet!” Gideon said angrily.

                “Yea, don’t yell at Sonnet! Sonnet will kick you so hard you’ll be straight for a damn week!” Sonnet said.

                “Gideon, please. I’m sorry, okay? I’m sorry about everything. Can’t you please just give me one more chance? I can prove to you that I’m not a bad person,” Jude practically begged.

                “No, Judeikas. Because Greyson and Sonnet told me the other things you’ve done. Not just to them, but to Ethan and others. I’ve talked to people, Jude. You fooled me once, but you will never fool me again. You’re a terrible person, and I’m ashamed of myself for ever defending you,” Gideon said.

                “Gideon, I love you. I didn’t lie about that,” Jude said, pain in his voice. “I would do anything for you.”

                “It’s too late for that,” Gideon said.

                “Fuck you, Gideon. Come on Jude. You don’t need to beg at his feet. You’re better than that,” Nate said, grabbing Jude’s arm and pulling him out of the cafeteria, Landon following behind them after shooting us a dirty look.