Friend Zoned {12}

I walked into school with Ethan. I had slept over his house last night, cuddled up with him and trying not to think too hard about the incident with the soccer team.

                My dad had called me and told me that Gideon had swung by the house. Apparently he had been freaking out, wondering where I was. My dad had assured him that I was alright and told him that I wasn’t home.

                We walked into the senior hallway together. We made our way over to Gideon’s locker, and his eyes widened as they fell on me.

                “Ben! Are you alright?” he asked in panic. “I tried to go to your house but you weren’t home!”

                “I’m fine,” I lied, not looking at Jude. He had that smug look on his face.

                “If by fine you mean humiliated, slightly injured, and emotionally derailed, then yes, you’re dandy,” Ethan with a bright smile.

                I blushed and elbowed him in the side. “Shut up,” I grumbled.

                “Coach made the team do suicides when you were gone. Jude said he saw you getting into your car. He was walking towards the field when you were leaving,” Gideon said.

                “Wow, Jude happened to conveniently be there when Benji got hurt? What a surprise,” Ethan said.

                “Are you insinuating something, Ethan?” Jude asked.

                “I’m not insinuating anything. I’m saying you were behind the team attacking Benji,” Ethan said.

                “Me? I wasn’t even there until after it had happened!” Jude cried angrily. “I had nothing to do with it! I would never want to hurt Benji!”

                “Calm down,” Gideon said gently, wrapping his arm around Jude’s waist and kissing him. He turned back to us with a frown. “Ethan, you need to calm down too. Jude’s right; he wasn’t even there when it happened, and he would never hurt Benji. He had nothing to do with what happened yesterday. I don’t know why they went after Greyson like that, but I’m going to get to the bottom of it and kick some ass.” He clenched his fist, anger entering his eyes.

                “Well, I know where you can start!” Ethan offered and pointed at Jude.

                “Stop accusing me. I didn’t do anything wrong!” Jude said, frowning and putting on a fake look of hurt.

                “Ethan, cut it out! Jude didn’t do anything,” Gideon said defensively.

                “Let it drop Ethan,” I said as Ethan opened his mouth to retaliate.

                Ethan snapped his mouth shut for once and nodded. He knew that by tonight, Gideon would know the truth.

                “Let’s go find Sonnet. See you guys at lunch,” I said, giving a short wave and dragging Ethan away before Gideon could say anything else.

                We wandered the halls until we had found Sonnet. She pulled me into a tight hug, and I hugged her back.

                “I heard about yesterday. Are you alright?” she asked, releasing me.

                “I guess so,” I said with a shrug. “Do you have your iPod?”

                “Yea, but we’re not going to show Gideon in school,” she said, pulling her iPod out of her pocket.