Cht. 5

Chandra

The next few days went by in a foggy blur for me. Zoey started to sit with us and I’ve started to hallucinate. Maybe that was a goddess thing or it could have been because of the ever forlorning darkness hanging on this school like a black veil. I think I have seen the white bull at least ten times, however, that could have just been in my dreams. I am not for sure anymore.

“Chandra? You okay?” Zoey whispers during Neferet's class.

“Huh? Oh, yeah. I’m the peachiest!” I whisper back to her.

“Are you sure? You don’t seem to be all there today...” she trails off and I shrug.

“Yeah, I just haven’t had the best few nights of sleep lately. That’s all,” I explain to her.

“Are you sure? I mean, I haven’t seen anybody reject the change yet, but do you think that you might be..?” she trails off again and I shake my head. That would be highly impossible, especially since I was not even an actual fledgling to begin with. However, she didn’t know that and I wasn’t about to tell her otherwise.

“I’m totally fine!” I exclaim, maybe a little too loud.

“Miss Light, Miss Redbird! Care to share with the class what is so important?” Neferet booms in rage.

We both look at each other and shake our heads. “No ma’am,” we tell her. I was not about to give her a snarky comment and Zoey did not know that Neferet was evil. She would know soon enough.

“Good, now listen to what’s being read,” she tells us as she motions to the textbook.

“Chandra, are you sure you’re alright?” Zoey asks me again. She was too kind but she seriously needed to stop.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I tell her as we continue walking to our table. A throbbing pain shot from where I had placed the blue mark that allowed me to blend in with the vampires fledglings. “I just a slight headache. That’s all.”

“What are we talkin’ ‘bout?” Stevie Rae asks as she walks up to the other side of Zoey, her roommate. I let out a huff of air and shift my tray of food to one hand as I rub at my mark.

“Zoey keeps checking if I’m okay because she’s worried I might be rejecting the mark,” I tell her truthfully. “But I’m not and she should stop worrying.”

Another round of pain started to flare up around the center of my forehead and I was glad we had reached our table so I could set my food down and rub at it with both hands. A sigh of relief flooded through my entire body as I flopped into my seat; the girls sliding into theirs as well.

“I’m sorry I am so so late to meet you guys to walk with you guys here, I had a bad headache when I woke up so I thought maybe I should go see Nerfet about it.”

“See? I’m not the only one who’s getting headaches!” I exclaim gesturing to my roommate.

“Maybe it’s because you two are bunking with Aphrodike,” Erin pipes up when she realizes what we are talking about.

“Yeah that girl has some issues about giving people some major headaches,” Shaunee said.

“Guys, come on, le-” Mist was cut off with a round of coughs. I froze because I realized that her headache meant something much more worse than mine did. Mist was beginning to reject and I would have to watch in horror as my friend and roommate died. I just prayed that my sister knew what she was doing, sending her to our world.