Chapter Twenty

Lucy’s P.O.V.

“What the hell happened?” Soda asked for the millionth time.

“I will tell you, when my mind has stopped buzzing.” Sadie answered calmly.

“Lucy what happened?” Dally took my hand. I could tell he was trying not to yell. It was sweet.

“Sadie will tell you when her mind stops buzzing.” I told him smugly.

He sighed. “Fine. Sadie tell your mind to stop buzzing. I want to know what the hell happened to my girl!” He started to sound upset.

“Shut up and just be quiet for a minute!” Sadie screeched. She fell back and rubbed her head.

“I’m sorry baby. I just don’t like when you get hurt.” Sodapop said and wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

She leaned into him and closed her eyes. She took a deep breath then began the story.

*** FLASHBACK ***

“Socs. Lucy, Don’t. Get. Out. Of. This. Truck. Whatever you do or hear just please don’t get out of the truck.” Sadie said to me in a deadly serious voice.

“Sadie-”

“Just promise okay?” She grabbed my arm and looked at me with pleading eyes.

I nodded. “Please Lucy?” she pleaded.

“I am not going to make a promise I can’t keep.” I told her seriously then sat back in my seat. She made a sound of frustration then got out of the truck.

I heard laughing and fumbling around. I could faintly hear the Socs talking but it was hard to understand their slurred sentences.

Then I heard a slap and Sadie scream. I broke the promise I never really made and got out to go see what was going on.

Sadie was lying on the ground she had a cut on her forehead and her lip was split. “Hey what do you think you’re doing?” I asked walking out from around the truck.

They turned around. “Oh, it’s just another girl.” They all laughed.

“I’m not just another girl. You better watch it.” I said.

“Lucy I told you to stay in the truck.” Sadie mouthed from the ground.

I rolled my eyes then turned back to the Socs. They moved closer to me. Sadie cautiously stood up. I looked the lead Soc in the eye. He was raising his hand up to slap me.

“You wouldn’t hit a girl, now would you?” I asked.

He slapped me across the face making me gasp in shock and pain. I knew there was gonna be a bruise there. “Yes I would.” He said.

“Okay let me get this straight. One, you had the nerve to hit a girl. Two, you had the nerve to hit a pregnant girl. Alright I’ll give you one last chance to beat it or else.” Sadie said and crossed her arms. She looked real tough.

They pretty much laughed in her face. The head Soc said “Or else what?”

“Or else our boyfriends and their gang will be after you and don’t think they won’t find you, because they will.” She looked deadly. They just stood there and didn’t look intimidated at all.