Chapter Five

(Harmony, Sirius System)

Kal Truz was strolling through the Venturi bazaar when he saw the human. He froze behind a rack of brightly coloured silken cloaks, staring at it in fascination. It was the first live human he had seen. Its skin was browner than a normal person, dull and lifeless without the glossy sheen one would expect from a young male. The fur on its head was mud coloured and coarse, like a Canid's hair and it wore odd wire circles on its face.

It bared its teeth as it spoke to the stall owner. Was that meant to be a greeting or a threat? Kal watched as the Venturi returned a courteous reply, unruffled by the stranger. A greeting, then.

He was distracted for a second as two children dashed past, chasing each other down the lane. Watched in horror as one of them cannoned into the human, knocking him nearly off his feet. The human reached out to grab the child and Kal found himself rushing forward without a second thought, ready to defend her. Except that, even as he skidded to a stop in front of them, he saw that the human had set the girl gently on her feet and let her go. "Whoa," he was saying in a cheerful voice. "Careful there!"

He looked up at Kal, who was panting after his mad dash, and smiled. "Yours?" he asked. The smile faltered as he took a closer look at Kal, gradually realising that he wasn't human. There was a sheen to his skin that humans didn't have, and he had never seen eyes quite that colour of gold before. Kal saw the exact moment when the stranger realised he was facing a Vishnan, one of the enemy.

There was a flash of fear in his eyes, but he held his ground gamely. "Harmony is neutral territory, is it not?"

"It is."

"I'll be on my way then." He glanced down at the little girl, still standing there between them, staring up at him, wide-eyed.

"Do you really eat babies for breakfast?" she asked, awed.

The human gave a startled laugh. "I'm afraid not," he replied, with a smile. "Usually I just have a piece of fruit."

"Oh," she replied, half disappointed.

"I think you should go and find your parents," suggested Kal, firmly. "They must be wondering where you are."

For a split second the two men exchanged a look of amused indulgence. Kids! Then they realised what they were doing. Kal gave a cool nod and turned away. Steven looked after him for a brief moment then continued on his slow perusal of the market, his heart beating a bit faster at the unexpected encounter. His first Vishnan.

It was funny, but after that first impression, he hadn't seemed that different.

~~~

Commander Harry Parker was kicking his heels outside the door to Ancian's municipal reception room. He had been told the Administrator would see him shortly, but that had been an hour ago. He fretted, unable to decide if he was being snubbed, or whether it was just that the Ancians had a different notion of time.

He wished now that he had sent Coleman along to make the appointment, but he had been trying to make a good impression, show that he was treating the occasion with the appropriate degree of importance.

Another half hour crawled by before the door opened, and a Venturi assistant ushered him inside to where the Ancian was reclining on a low couch. Its heavy grey body bore an even stronger resemblance to a walrus.

"You are welcome, human," announced the Ancian in ponderous tones. The words emitted from a small black translator box placed on the couch. The Commander was taken aback for a moment. Surely the Ancians had a more sophisticated method of communicating than this old fashioned device? It made him wonder again, about what sort of power they actually wielded. He had certainly seen no signs of advanced technology so far. Still, the Vishnans evidently thought it worth their while approaching the Ancians for assistance, perhaps they knew something he didn't.

The Commander bowed briefly. "Thank you for seeing me, Administrator. I am Commander Harry Parker of the Combined Sol Forces. I understand you have a meeting arranged with Vishnan representatives?"

There was a lengthy pause, then, "Yes. That is true."

"I, too, have come to request a meeting, so that I and my associates may present our side of the conflict to you."

The Ancian appeared to study him for a long time with large brown eyes, as if it was weighing up the pros and cons of every possible response and outcome. It blinked slowly. An unfortunate image of a cow chewing its cud flashed across Parker's mind, but he kept his face politely respectful.

"Your request is granted." The Ancian announced eventually. "You and the human called Coleman may attend us in the City, in seven days time. My assistant will give you the details."

"Thank you, Administrator, but ... Coleman? I have more senior advisors who are looking forward to speaking with you." Parker was trying to be diplomatic, hiding his dismay at the invitation for the most junior and least experienced member of his party. The man he had only reluctantly accepted as having any relevance to the mission at all.

"Coleman," insisted the Ancian.

"Of course, Administrator," Parker accepted with resignation.

The Ancian closed its eyes, signalling the end of the interview.

Parker bowed to the Administrator, and he and the Venturi bowed to each other. The Venturi followed him out. "I'll send the details across to you this afternoon," she advised, as she closed the door behind them both, then added, "It's an honour, you know. Few people are invited to the City."

Parker was confused. Surely they were in the city right now? The Venturi gave what passed for a smile and explained further. "The invitation is for you to attend the Ancian City, in the North."

(to be continued...)