Chapter Six

(Troni, Vishna System)

The Premier waited anxiously for Ula Tesz' update. The situation on Irra was deteriorating by the day. The latest report advised that the Vishnans were on the verge of losing control of the entire planet; most of the big cities were in ruins, the only significant remaining pockets of resistance were in the mountains and the smaller towns.

Ula Tesz entered his office out of breath. "Sorry I'm late, sir. The last test on NIL8 took longer than I expected."

"I hope that means you have good news for me."

The scientist grimaced. "No, I'm afraid not. All I've managed to achieve is a greater potency in the death rate. By that I mean, with the latest modifications, an average human will live about six days after becoming infected instead of ten. A Vishnan, anything from five to fifteen days depending on their age."

"How virulent is it? If, say, we triggered NIL8 in only a handful of Vishnans, would that be enough to have a significant impact on the humans?" Not for the first time, the Premier wished he had paid more attention in his biology classes all those years ago.

Ula Tesz looked up at the ceiling for a minute. "All my projections indicate that once we activate NIL8 it will continue to spread through the population until either someone finds a 'cure' or everyone in the killzone is dead." Her tone was flat.

"The 'killzone'?"

"Any discrete area containing human or Vishnan life. A space ship, a space station ... or a planet. It won't stop until it has nowhere to go."

Silence.

Tev Nesa cleared his throat. "Uh, it is being kept in complete quarantine, isn't it?"

Ula Tesz gave a grim smile. "Completely, I assure you. Anyone working with NIL8 wears a full hazard protection suit, and goes through three separate decontamination procedures when they have finished."

The scientist paused for a moment, allowing him to digest the news, waiting until she had his complete attention once again. She leant forward unconsciously on her stool, emphasising the importance of what she was saying.

"Sir, this weapon is the most deadly yet devised, by either of our races. In my opinion, the Council should either decide to use it, and be fully prepared to face all the consequences, or ... destroy it. Even given our most stringent security arrangements, I still have nightmares, imagining that the NIL8 is released somehow by accident, or by sabotage."

Tev Nesa found himself nodding, very slowly, in agreement.