What's the meaning of this?!

It was a fine morning and the palace was in a mess as Lelouch ran all over the place looking for something he refused to tell. When asked, he simply scribbled on a piece of paper that he misplaced something important and he must not stop looking until he had secured the missing item. Gino offered to help him, but was answered with an exasperated glare they had come to associate as to mean a strict 'No'. After trying for a few times to get Lelouch to accept his help, Gino stopped trying and pretended to sulk in mock hurt.

Lelouch only rolled his eyes at the younger man's antics.

Suzaku knew better than to ask if Lelouch needed any help, so he chose to remain silent. It was a big relief to see more than one emotion on Lelouch's face. He was reading a book in the garden when Nunnally came over to him. The princess pursed her lips to speak the right words.

"I think Brother is looking for this," Nunnally told him hesitantly, handing over a black notebook which looked like a journal to Suzaku.

Suzaku raised an eyebrow. The book didn't look like it was all that important. It was a plain black A5-sized notebook about an inch and a half thick.

"Maybe it's a good idea if you give it him," Suzaku suggested. "Or would you like me to give this to him?"

"I think it's better if you hand it back to him."

Something was not right. Nunnally actually looked flustered. Suzaku decided not to question her and promised to give the book to Lelouch as soon as he can. He was about to leave when Nunnally called out his name.

"Is there anything else you want me to do, Nunnally?"

"... N - Never mind. Thank you."

Suzaku left the princess with two maids at the garden, trying not to think too much. It didn't work. He was confused by Nunnally's troubled expression and the degree of Lelouch's desperation to get back whatever it was he misplaced. It somehow reminded him of the incident with Arthur back then in Ashford.

As thinking and walking never exactly came as a set, Suzaku ran straight into a guard who had just turned the corner. He dropped the book in the process and waved off the guard's apology, saying it was completely his fault for not paying attention to where he was going.

He bent down to pick the book up.

And promptly froze when he saw the unmistakable letters spelling out his name. He knew it was rude to a high degree for intruding someone else's privacy, even more so when that someone else happened to be your prince and your friend. But he needed to read, at least one page, of what was written about him.

It's the 369th day since I woke up in the palace,

I saw Suzaku today. He told me about the new city they built in Japan. He looked so happy, so I couldn't help but smile.

Three hundred and sixty nine days, and I still wonder. It's hard to believe that Suzaku is still here, talking to me like nothing happened - like he' still my best friend.

No, like I'm still his best friend.

He was always the one I trusted the most. Even when we were facing each other as enemies on the battlefield, it was still him I trusted the most. That's why when he swore to kill the person I've become, I believed in him. I've been waiting and counting the days until he finally decides to fulfill the promise.

Three hundred and sixty nine days he had the chance, but he never even tried.

I guess he won't kill me today too. I still don't understand why, though.