A Kind of Fun

Sean's POV

I hated school. No matter what we did or what kind of grades I got, I still hated school. It was a terrible place full of mean kids and mean teachers. Not one of them was nice, at least at my school. Everyone made fun of me, even the teachers who did it indirectly which I thought was the worst. It was mostly because I went to a private school where everyone was rich and went there because they were rich, but I wasn't. Another reason why was because I wasn't attracted to just girls, and everybody thought that that was disgusting. The only real reason why I went there was because my Ma wanted me to get the most out of school. She wanted me to learn as much as I could and she wanted it to be good information. I knew she just wanted the best for me, but little did she know that it was a living Hell.

So, there I was, walking just outside the front doors of that shitty private school, named Riverdale's Seminary for Young Adults, with three more pages of algebra homework and chapters four through six to read of 'The Diary of Anne Frank'. I sighed as I trudged over to the bike rack just outside the fronts doors and spotted the only good thing I owned. At least, that's what I thought. I picked up my pace and grabbed for the lock and chain once I reached the rack. I pulled my keys out of my pocket and stuck the one that matched the lock into it and unlocked it. I picked up the lock and chain and stuffed it in my backpack, then I threw my backpack over my shoulder and hopped on my shiny, black bike that I had gotten for my birthday just a couple months before. A bike was all I ever wanted since I was eleven years old, and for my sixteenth birthday, I finally got one. Long story short, my Ma saved up the money with the help of my siblings and let me tell you, it was probably the best birthday present I've ever gotten.

I put my feet on the pedals and instead of sitting on the seat, I stood up and began to pedal as fast as I could to get me started. I went off in the direction of my house, just five to six miles away from the school. We lived in a townhouse, but the town we lived in wasn't all that great. If you had money, you were smart enough to either move into a house in the country or build one in the country yourself. And as I already told you, we didn't have that kind of money. I let the wind whip me in the face as I tried picking up speed even more. I passed familiar places, like the town hall, many restaurants that I wanted to try but knew I never would, and of course, the mall and the shopping stores and such. I came up to the corner of the street I was on and hung a right. On this street was a park where I saw little kids playing and messing around, but today, no little kids were there. I thought that was strange but as I took a second to look up at the sky, I saw dark clouds gathering above me. I sighed in disgust and muttered some profanities to myself as I pedalled even faster. Just as I was coming up on the park, I noticed a figure, a boy, sitting on one of the swings. I must have missed him when I looked over the place before. I watched as he turned his head towards me and before I could watch him do anything else, I was thrown off of my bike and landed right in the middle of the road in front of me, hitting my head in the process. I rolled over on  my side and groaned out in pain. I tried getting up, but it wasn't that easy. Everything hurt at that moment, and the throbbing of my head, specifically my forehead, made all the pain worse. I gave up and decided to just lay there until I would have to make a break for it if anyone decided to be a huge asshole and run me over without a care if they came down this road. Pretty soon though, I heard hurried footsteps coming towards me and I was sat up by somebody else. I brought my hand up to my head and whimpered as I felt a huge welt beginning to form right on my forehead. It was definitely going to bruise as well. I opened my eyes immediately when heard a voice speaking to me.

"Oh my God! Are you okay? Man, that was terrible to just watch you fly off of your bike like that." i heard a boy's voice say, much deeper than mine. I looked him over, the boy who was sitting on the swings, was now right in front of me, crouching down and looking at me with a worried expression. I swallowed and blinked a few times, then nodded at him.

"I'm fine, don't worry." I said in my all-too-high-pitched Irish accent. A huge smile spread across his face and I swear, I've never seen something more beautiful in my life. My eyes widened at the thought I just had and I scooted away from him a bit. His smile faltered but he just sat down on the ground in front of me. I watched with shaky breaths escaping my mouth as he scanned every inch of my body. And I mean every inch. He then looked me in the eyes and grinned again. He stuck out his hand, and my gaze moved from it, to back up to his mesmerizing brown eyes.

"I'm Mark. Seventeen." he said cheerfully, and I swear to God I could listen to his voice all day. I reached out and grabbed his hand, and shook it, but not very confidently. He just chuckled and shook his head. I tried to sit up as straight as best I could, and cleared my throat. I hated my smile, but I just couldn't hide it from him. He already seemed like a great person to me and he was making this whole situation better by the second.

"I-I'm Sean. Sixteen." I mumbled as my eyes eventually moved back down to my hands where I was fiddling with my fingers.

"Sean? I've never met somebody with that name, but I like it." I could just sense the happiness in his voice. He was such a happy person, and he put out good vibes. I could already tell.

"Well.. uh, thank you. I've met other people by the name of Mark, but I think you might just be my new favorite person with that name." I said, and he laughed for real this time, and fuck was it beautiful. Jesus, I never knew I could fall for somebody so hard, so quickly. I just shook my head and looked down, letting another smile appear on my lips.

"Hey, your forehead's getting pretty swollen. I could take you back to my house and get you some ice, if you want. Plus, it's going to rain soon and I don't want you getting sick at the same time." he said as his warm, chocolaty brown eyes searched my face. I just nodded once our eyes met again. He held his hand out to me again and I grabbed it, allowing him to help me up off the ground. I picked up my backpack which had fallen off when I fell, and he grabbed my bike. I shyly walked beside him as he pushed my bike for me, looking over at him occasionally to admire his features that I hadn't quite noticed yet in our small amount of time together.

Eventually we made it to his house, and I'd say it was the best time of my life. Yeah, I had to get hurt to finally gain a friend, but it was all worth it. When we got home, his mother greeted us at the door and she was delighted to meet me. I could already tell that his whole family were probably angels straight from the Heavens above. She had went and got an ice pack for my head and Mark led me to the couch to where the TV was on in front of it. It was much bigger than our TV and the channels were in much better quality. I could already tell he had more money than us as well. But the best part was probably when he asked if I wanted to play a game on his Xbox. I had played the Xbox at my cousin's house a long time ago, and I remember loving it, but of course, my family couldn't afford one. Now, I was finally playing a game on the console again. I couldn't remember the controls all that well but Mark helped me. Just the soft touch of his hands on mine when he guided me to which ever button I needed to press or whatever joystick I need to move made shivers run down my spine. He would laugh whenever I messed up, but it was in a playful way. Whenever I did something right, he would overdramatically cheer for me, like I just saved the world or something like that. He was amazing to be around, and in just the short span of time that we knew each other, he already became my favorite person to hang out with. I had the most fun I've ever had in such a long time, and I loved it. I loved Mark, and just because we had just met each other, doesn't mean that I wasn't allowed to say that. It was true, and just a year later, it's still true, and I'm still having fun at Mark's house. It's a kind of fun that most younger kids wouldn't understand though, because they've never loved somebody as much as I love Mark, and as much as he loves me.