Bookworm

"I can't believe I'm actually doing this," Karlie thought as she approached the large, multistory building. Karlie had never even been within a hundred feet of the library, let alone stepped foot into it, but today was a day of many firsts. The other first she was making that day was the fact that she was actually going to study for her finals. She had been keeping up with her grades, and most were up to par except for her classical literature class. It didn't help that Karlie hadn't even thought about any of the books that were on her required reading list for the class. If she was going to get out of this semester with at least a B in all of her classes, like she promised her parents she would, she was going to have to cram day and night until finals were over.

She pushed open the large metal doors and began to strategize exactly how she was going to pull this off. "I can dedicate a day to each book, and hopefully by the time finals start I'll have read enough," she thought as she looked at the signs on the wall dictating what kind of books each section of the library held. The building was warm, but not overly hot; it was cozy. Despite the fact that finals were next week, the whole building seemed pretty bare. There were a few students at different tables scattered between shelves, but the place was not jam-packed like she had expected it to be. She found that all the classical literature books were situated on the second floor, just up the large set of stairs in the middle of the library. Once she had climbed the stairs, Karlie found the exact set of shelves she needed and got to work. She picked up each of the books that the professor had recommended and found a vacant table near the windows. She set the books down in a pile then pulled her backpack up onto the table so that she could pull out the notebooks she needed. Once everything was organized the way she wanted it, she opened up her first book but was a bit distracted by the girl over in the corner. Karlie could've sworn she was alone when she got here.

The girl had wavy blonde hair that was pulled into a loose side braid, and she wore squared glasses that she would remove every now and then. Hey eyes were a color blue that Karlie had thought only the ocean could produce. She seemed to be completely entranced with whatever she was reading; her eyebrows were furrowed and she was nibbling on her lower lip. The girl was seated at a desk in the corner with her leather backpack and a single moleskin notebook sitting in front of her. She wore a dark cardigan whose sleeves were pulled up to cover the palms of her hands. She must have detected Karlie's gaze because she quickly looked up to the brunette that was staring at her. Their eyes met and Karlie could swear she felt her heart stop. The blonde offered her a shy smile and wave before returning to her book. Karlie shook herself out of whatever trance she had been consumed by and decided to actually try to study.

A few hours passed by, and when Karlie looked up again, the blue eyed girl was gone. Karlie quickly raced to the window to see if she could spot her walking out of the building and sure enough, she did. The girl had her backpack on with both straps and carried a stack of several books. Karlie sighed at the realization that she may never again see the girl that had invaded her thoughts since she first saw her. It was starting to get late, so she gathered up her books and made her way over to the desk to check them out. "You don't happen to know who that blonde haired girl that was up here is, do you?" she asked the lady at the counter. "Who? Taylor? Yeah, she's in here just about every day, either with her head in a book or writing in that journal of hers. She's a sweet girl, why?" the lady replied. "Oh, I had just seen her around campus and never caught her name," Karlie half lied. The woman handed Karlie her books and her due date receipt. "I didn't completely lie. I didn't actually know her name even if that was the first time I had ever seen her," Karlie thought as she exited the building into the cold of New York in December.

That night was a sleepless one for Karlie as thoughts of a certain mysterious blonde invaded her brain. She wondered if she would actually see her again tomorrow. If she did, she decided, she was actually going to go over and introduce herself. Even if their conversation died after getting each other's names, she thought she still might as well try. Eventually, she drifted off to sleep only to have her dreams centered around a blonde bookworm named Taylor.