chapter one

a/n:  I just wanted to make a quick note that this story is set in Panem and in the future (like The Hunger Games is), however, Lauren and Camila will be ages 18 and 17 due to the fact tributes cannot be older than 18 in The Hunger Games. The other tributes will be between the ages of 12 and 18 as well. I hope you enjoy the story!!

Just like any other teenager in District 12 at this time, Lauren Jauregui is heading to the reaping where two tributes will be chosen and shortly after sent to the Capitol, where they will be prepped to fight for their lives in an arena.

Just like any other teenager in District 2 at this time, Camila Cabello is heading to the reaping where two tributes will be chosen, but two of the "career tributes" as they're called, will volunteer as tribute. These children who are training to become career tributes have been attending a Hunger Games training academy since they were just ten years old, and the two at the top of their class are ready to step in and volunteer as tribute.

Lauren's POV

Once I get my finger pricked and my blood on record, I take my place in the forming crowd. I stand next to my younger siblings Chris and Taylor while my mother Clara takes her place in the back. All three of us are between the ages of 12-18 so I know any three of our names could be drawn during the reaping.

Effie Trinket greets all of District 12 formally, but I am not paying attention.  I am too busy worrying about Chris or Taylor's names getting drawn out of the glass bowl next to Effie.  After a while of meaningless talk, Effie shuts up.  I watch as her hand dips into the glass bowl and closes around a thin piece of white paper.  She pulls it out and unfolds it.

"Lauren Jauregui," I hear her say. 

Most of the crowd gasps and many look my way. A bunch of men are coming my towards me to escort me to the stage where Effie is. Taylor is crying and holding on to me around my waist. Chris' eyes are filled with tears, although he is not crying. The men approach me, then release Taylor's grip on me before dragging me to the stage.

The process is repeated, except with the boys this time. I am lost in my thoughts until one of the boys who was in my class in school joins me on stage. He was always nice to me in class but we were never friends. His eyes are teary, but he is not letting himself cry. His name is Justin. Justin Bieber.

"Justin, Lauren," Effie says loud and clear, "May the odds be ever in your favor."

Camila's POV

My finger is pricked and my blood goes on record, then I am rushed to the crowd that has formed around the stage. The reaping is today, but I already know I am going to volunteer as tribute since I am at the top of my class. I am a career.  I've been training to do this since I was ten. 

The girls go first. As soon as a name is called, I step up. "I volunteer as tribute," I shout as I make my way up to the stage.

Then it's the boys' turn. Shawn Mendes volunteers as tribute. He joins me on stage. He is also a career and at the top of his class.

Shawn and I started at the training school the same day. We were the two youngest, so we spent most of our time together. We've been best friends since then. I am so glad he's the one I am going to the Hunger Games with. I can't imagine my life without him.