chapter eight

Camila's POV

I know I should regret kissing Shawn, considering what's going on between me and Lauren, but I don't.  I don't because now Shawn is 100% on my side.  Last night while I was sleeping, he went out on his own and killed Leigh Anne from 4.

Shawn has been so faithful I think I even owe him another kiss, but I'm not going to give it to him.  I am going to be faithful to Lauren.  I think when we get to the point where it's just me, Shawn, Justin, and Lauren left, I might ask her to be my girlfriend.

It's a new morning and a new chance to kill Becky and Austin from District 10, our only other competitors.  Becky's a pretty easy target alone - that's not the problem.  The problem is that Austin is constantly protecting her, and he is a force to be reckoned with.  He's almost twice my size and he's super strong.  I always thought Shawn was strong, but that changed once I saw Austin in action.

Shawn and I spend all morning plotting a way to get Becky away from Austin so I can kill her.  Shawn won't be able to kill Austin alone, and if Shawn can't, there's no way I'd ever be able to.  Since Shawn and I both know that it will take both of us in order to kill Austin, we've decided that we will deal with him later.

Our plan consists of Shawn making a lot of noise nearby so Austin and Becky will come to see what is going on.  Then Shawn will make sure Austin sees him and start running, so Austin will chase him.  This will leave just me and Becky and then I'll pop out and stab her with my knife.

Once Shawn and I work up the courage to execute our plan, we walk over to the nearby area where we know Austin and Becky are.  We both crouch behind a large bush and Shawn begins to scream.  I hear footsteps getting closer and that's when both Austin and Becky come into sight.  Shawn notices this and pops up from the bush.  He bolts the opposite direction of Austin and Becky.  Austin takes off after Shawn and Becky looks extremely scared to be alone.  Well, she won't be scared much longer.  I pop up from the bush and lounge towards Becky, putting my knife right through her chest.  She becomes weak and falls to the ground.

"I hope someday you'll realize why I had to that," I whisper to her right before her eyes begin to close forever.

Lauren's POV

The sound of yelling wakes me up quite instantly.  I untie the rope that is keeping me in the tree.  I stuff it into my backpack which I swing over my shoulder before descending from the tree.  Once I reach the ground, I see Justin is awake, too.

"Let's get moving," I say, not wanting to be the victim of an attack that is yet to come.

Justin and I start running, but that's when I see the figures of two boys.  I can make out the one who is being chased to be Shawn.  Justin and I run until we reach I disheveled Camila.  She is on her knees crying next to a small girl who is no longer alive.

"Camz, what happened?" I ask, helping her up.

"I had to do it," she sobs.  "I sent Shawn out there alone just so I could kill her.  And she wasn't even a threat!  Now Shawn's gonna die out there because of me!"

The yelling once again becomes closer and the figures not too far away return.

"I have an idea," I say.  "Camila, shoot an arrow over there so it will scare away whoever's chasing Shawn."

"But I might hit Shawn!" she says through her tears.

"Then don't aim well.  Shoot the arrow close enough that it will startle the other boy enough, and will give Shawn enough time to get away," I explain.

Camila runs over to where her amp is set up and retrieves her bow.  I grab an arrow from the stash on her back and I hand it to her.

"This is it.  All or nothing," Camila says and then shoots the arrow.

The arrow lands barely a foot away from the boy who is chasing Shawn, which causes the boy to stop in his tracks.  He flies backwards due to the abrupt stop which gives Shawn enough time to make it out of the other boy's sight.

Moments later Shawn returns.  He is sweaty and his face is the color of a tomato.

"Nice job," he gets out between his gasps for air.

I swing my backpack off of my shoulder and take out the soup canteen that I filled with water last night.

"Drink," I direct him.

He drinks about a third of the water, but I don't care too much.  I'll just refill it next time I'm near the stream.

"Thanks," he says.

"Thank you, too," Camila says.

I take that as my cue to leave.  Sure we could stay together considering it's just the four of us and that other boy left, but it will probably more effective for us to split up.

"By the way, who was the boy?" I ask.

"Austin from ten.  All we have to do is take him out and then we can go home," Camila says.

Camila's POV

The task is quite simple.  Kill one more person and then this nightmare ends.  The only thing about it that's not so simple is that the person is Austin.  Austin Mahone from District 10.  I'd heard of him before the Games.  Everyone in Districts 1 and 2 said he was a "killer at fighting".  None of the other districts, beside his own of course, knew about his talents. 

I didn't exactly know what the others meant when they said he was a "killer at fighting", but I think I do now.  He must be terrific at fighting if he made it to the final five.  I'm pretty sure the only reason Austin hasn't come after Lauren, Justin, Shawn or I yet, is because we haven't gone after him.  Until today that is.  I fear now that this is the end.  That Austin will take all four of us out and go home a victor.  I don't want that to happen, but I don't think I have any control.  The only possible way I can defeat Austin is with the help of Shawn, as well as Lauren and Justin. 

Lauren's POV

I can't say I was completely shocked when Camila showed up behind Justin and me after we left.  I knew she wouldn't ask for my help unless I left first and made her realize she actually needs me.

"Lauren," she says, putting a hand on my shoulder.  I turn around to face her with a somewhat sly smile on my face.  "I need your help."

"With what Camila?"

"Shawn and I can't take out Austin alone."

"I know,"

"You know?"

"Why else do you think I'd leave you alone?  I want you right now more than anything.  Well, other than getting out of here," I say.

I watch Camila's facial expression turn from neutral to shocked.

"You're a sneaky little lesbian, Lauren.  You know that?"

"I know," I say, the corners of my mouth turning up into a smile.

A/N:  A short chapter once again.  And another apology from me.  This seems like the right place to leave off for this chapter because something big will be happening next chapter.  Hopefully I'll be able to get it to you soon now that I'll have more time for writing.  Anyway, thanks for reading!  Feedback and suggestion are always welcome (: