chapter seven

Camila's POV

"It's good to be with you, you know?" I say to Lauren.

After the kiss we shared, Lauren led me back to the tree where she and Justin had set up for the night.

"It can't be as good as being with you," Lauren replies.

I feel myself blush, and I know Lauren sees this because she places her hand on the left side of my face and begins to stroke my cheek.

"Lo, you know I want to stay here all night, but I have to go know. Michael and Demi will know something's up if I'm not back," I say.

The smile on her face fades into a frown, which she quickly hides in order to spare my feelings.  Her eyes are glistening with tears, and I'm pretty sure mine are, too.

I get up to leave before I let Lauren see any of my tears actually fall, but she stops me with a hand on my shoulder.  She spins me around and plants one more kiss on my lips.

"Do this right and we'll be back together in no time," she says, referring to my plan that I've let her in on.

And with that I'm off.  I make my way back to the site Michael, Demi, Shawn and I have set up.

"Where have you been?" Demi questions me immediately.

"I had to pee, and then I got distracted by my thoughts and I walked around for a little."

"You know you're not supposed to be out there alone."

"I can do what I want."

"It's not safe," Demi says.

"I know how to take care of myself," I say, sitting down with my back against a tree.

I don't sleep at all in the night because I have too many thoughts running through my brain.  Do this right and we'll be back together in no time is all I can hear.  I want to do this right; I need to do this right.

Lauren's POV

I have faith in Camila. I really believe she'll execute her plan the way it's supposed to be executed and make her way back to me. All I want is to be out of here and back at home in District 12, and I'm sure Camila feels the same way.

Just as I'm ready to climb up the tree again, I hear a steady beeping noise. I look up and see a silver canteen with a parachute. It comes right down to my hands which I enclose around it. On the top there is a note that says, "This is for that kiss. Keep it up! - Nick." I guess someone liked Camila's and my kiss enough to send me something. I unscrew the top and I see soup inside. Not just any soup, but my favorite soup - tomato with wild rice. I know this was sent to me because of my kiss with Camila, so I feel obligated to share it with her. It's hot now and I know it won't stay hot until the morning, so on a whim I decide to go looking for Camila.

Justin is now asleep, so I don't bother him. I climb the tree and grab my spear, then I set out in search of Camila.

After what feels like twenty minutes of walking in circles, I figure Camila isn't anywhere near, so I begin to head back in the direction of the tall trees. That's when I trip over something. I look behind me and I see a hand sticking out of the bushes. I recognize the hand to be Camila's. I squeeze through the bushes where I see her sitting on the ground.

"Get down before they see you," she says.

"Before who sees me?" I ask.

"Demi or Michael. They think I'm here picking berries."

I glance at the bushes behind my back and see blueberries.

"Well you don't want to make them mad, so I'll help you pick berries while we talk," I say. "The viewers saw our kiss."

Her eyes grow wide.

"Shit! My parents were probably watching and I haven't told them yet. Shit! This is such a disaster!" she exclaims.

"I'm sorry Camz, but on the bright side, a viewer sent us soup," I say holding up the thermos.

I hand her the thermos and she unscrews the top. Instantly the smell fills my nostrils.

"Tomato with wild rice. My favorite," she says, taking a sip. "Thanks for waiting to eat it."

She gives me back the thermos and I have some. It's not the best I've had, but it's pretty great considering it's the only food I have.

Before leaving, I give Camila half of the berries I picked and take the other half with me in my thermos. When I get back, Justin is still asleep, so I climb the tree and set myself back up on the branch. I put the thermos inside of my backpack. I feel somewhat guilty for not sharing the soup with Justin, but it wasn't sent for him. Technically it wasn't sent for Camila either, but she deserved half of it because she's part of what got me that soup.

Camila's POV

I wake up happy it's a new day and a new opportunity to be with Lauren again. I pack up my things, quiet in order not to wake Demi or Michael. The two of them have been good to Shawn and I; they've helped us out a lot over the past few days, but I know that in order to be with Lauren again I have to ill them. I glance over at Shawn to make sure he is still sleeping so he cannot stop me.

I slip the knife Shawn is sleeping with out of his hand and use it to slit Demi's throat. Her eyes shoot open as she begins to gag and choke. The gagging is loud enough to wake Michael up, but before he has enough time to realize what is happening, I slit his throat, too. He begins gagging and choking as well. I assume Shawn has woken up, too, so I look over at him and I see him staring at me wide-eyed.

"I had to," I say. "You wouldn't understand."

Shawn gets up and starts walking away. I am going to follow him, but there's one thing I need to do first. Both Demi and Michael have stopped moving, so I shut their eyelids in order to bring peace upon them in death. Then I run after Shawn.

"You didn't have to do that," he says without looking at me.

"I did. They would've killed us if we tried to leave, so we needed to kill them first," I explain.

"We didn't need to leave. We were only gonna leave because of you and your stupid plan!" he exclaims.

I hear him begin to cry. This is the first time I've ever seen him cry. He always wants to prove to everybody that he's a man - and he thinks men aren't allowed to show their feelings - so he always puts on a strong face and hides his feelings. It's not good for him, so I am actually glad that he is showing his feelings right now.

"It's gonna be ok, Shawn. I promise you. It's all going to work out. You and me forever, right?"

I plant a kiss on his lips not because I want to, but because I know he needs it.

"You and me forever," he repeats, wiping a tear from his eye.

A/N: I apologize for the short chapter. I generally try to write my chapters longer than this one, but I think that this is the best stopping point leading up to what is going to happen next. Thanks to all who have read this far and have taken this journey with me. I really appreciate it! Feedback and suggestions are always welcome (: