Chapter Three

Afeefa lay on the bed deep in thought. The week had passed by in a blur. It was only two days before her parents and sister would leave Mangalore and she was going to miss them terribly. She wished with all her heart to return home with them. Even after nearly one and half years of staying in Mangalore, she couldn't bring herself to call their apartment her home. She was not at all fond of the place and only stayed there for the sake of being with her husband.

Right after her wedding, three years ago, she used to stay with her parents and Junaid would come home on weekends. This continued for little over a year and then they had decided they couldn't do this any more and Junaid had taken her with him. Although she loved being with him, the absence of any immediate family or friends nearby did make her feel lonely. She wished her mother could stay with her till her delivery but it was not that easy. Fidha had yet to finish her college and her father would not be able to manage without his wife.

She was six months along now and they had decided not to travel long distances until after the baby is born. So going home was a distant prospect. She just had to make the most of her time with them now.

Afeefa had slept with Fidha as planned on their first day, and as there were only two bedrooms in their flat, Junaid had slept on the living room couch. Her parents wouldn't let that happen again and for the next three days Fidha had shared their room. Junaid had promised her that she could sleep with Fidha on their last night at Mangalore.

That last night would be tomorrow. And Afeefa was already feeling gloomy at the thought of them leaving. She was going to miss her mother's food, her sister's never-ending college tales, and her father's advices. She would miss watching her father dozing off while reading newspaper. She would miss her mother scolding her for not drinking enough water. Most of all, she would miss her conversations with her sister in the dark of the night.

Three more months and her loneliness would come to an end with the arrival of little Maryam or Yusuf, in sha Allah. She sighed as she moved Junaid's hand off her pregnant belly. His hand was always on her belly at night ever since the baby started kicking. She didn't really mind but it was already very hot that she found even her light nightgown irritating. This was one other thing about Mangalore that she disliked. Summer heat was unbearable and even winters were hot there. With pregnancy to add to it, it was so hot to the point that she started sleeping without the blanket covering her from head to toe, which was how she used to sleep at home, even during summer.

Afeefa was broken out of her thoughts as Junaid mumbled something about giving discount in his sleep. Smiling, she grabbed his hand and placed it back on her stomach as she slowly drifted to sleep.

***

"Why can't you extend your stay?" Afeefa pleaded as she set the table for dinner.

"Fidha has college, Afi! She's already taken leave for three days now." Asma reminded her.

"Let her go alone, then." Afeefa grumbled.

"Don't be silly, my dear. It's just three months before I come back, in sha Allah."

"After my baby comes, you're staying here for one full month. No going back on that!"

"I'm sure your father will keep asking me to go back. But he will have to do without me then." Asma glanced at her husband who had just seated himself at the dinner table.

"I guess there's no other way for me, huh?" Ahmad inquired jokingly. "Besides, I don't understand why Afeefa would want us here despite having the company of such a wonderful husband."

"Exactly, Uppa. She always takes me for granted." Junaid joined in, winking at his wife.

"Father and son start against me now," Afeefa complained.