the call that started it all

A tale of friendship, bravery, courage, and triumph; the final battle between the dark and the light within me-- the story of my life could be described in numerous poetic ways.

Because I lived it, I described it differently. I thought of it as the story about how the dark path my life was set to go was postponed, due to a friendship I had with an incredible pilot named Poe and his feisty droid at the time of a galactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.

I lived the type of life that led me to believe I would never be a key part in an adventure such as the one I was involved with. But, because of my friendship with Poe Dameron, that's where I found myself.

The start to my adventure began at an ungodly hour in the morning, when my holoprojector beeped excessively, waking me from my sleep. I grabbed the device and scurried into the cold night air for a private conversation with Poe.

"Good morning, pretty girl," Poe said huskily.

I sat on the steps of the bunk building. "Who do I need to fight?"

"Nobody just yet."

"Then what did you call this early for?"

"I missed you, of course," said Poe.

I tilted my head against the frame of the door as I yawned. "And I, you, but you don't see me calling you before dawn, do you?"

"Peaceful thoughts," said Poe softly. "Don't bring out the dark side."

I suppressed a sigh. "I may still be  aggressive, but not nearly enough to go to dark side right now."

"If you never would have met me, you'd probably be in prison."

"Worse than prison, I bet," I sighed. "Tell me what you called for."

"Last night, General Organa trusted me with a secret mission."

"Are you calling to brag about your top secret mission?" I asked. I saw no point of him sharing the information if, as he said, it was secret.

Poe shook his head, though he smiled. "Has anyone ever told you you're impatient?"

"You. Multiple times."

"It's an off-planet mission to Jakku," he said, choosing to ignore my remark. "In the rare event that things get messy, I requested back up of my own pick."

"You didn't," I pleaded.

"General wants this as stealthy as possible. She thinks your status of Jedi Master would be a perfect way to avoid people in the town from tempting us--"

"The Jedi haven't been publicly seen in years, Poe," I argued. "I'm convinced it's not a good idea. Rumors could spread of a Jedi, then what? The First Order would be trying to kill me."

"Over my dead body," he said defensively.

"I'm sure another mark on their kill count doesn't mean much to them," I said.

"General Organa thinks it's a good idea, and so do I. If anything, you're a cover up from what we're looking for."

"What are you looking for?"

"Whoops. Forgot you weren't in the inner circle of the Rebellion," chuckled Poe. He received yet another eye roll from me. "We're looking for Luke Skywalker."

"The Jedi Master?!" I whispered, astonished.

Poe smirked. "Does that tone of voice mean you're coming with me?"

"Do you even have to ask?"