poe and leia and enna

Poe traced the veins on my hands for a long time. He was entranced in my existence. I watched him lovingly. It brought me unspeakable amounts of joy to be in his presence alone. No words had to be said. Sharing the same space was enough. 

Then, out of nowhere, he lifted his head. "Can I take you somewhere?"

"I'm not sure it's a good idea to have me around people," I said.

"I've got you. I promise."

And the look in his eyes swayed me in the right direction, although everything inside of me said I shouldn't fall for it. I ignored it. We entered the hall, my hands engulfing his right hand. He whispered words of encouragement to me as we walked.

"Poe!" shouted a man. Finn. He stopped when he saw me, keeping distance between him and I. "Oh, uh..."

"For what it's worth, I apologize," I called.

Finn shrugged his shoulders. He had more important things on his mind than my actions against him. He spoke to Poe, almost begging, "I need your help. The girl we traveled with, Rey, she was taken by Kylo Ren. I need your help getting her back. Please."

"We were already on our way to see the General. Follow us," said Poe.

"The General?" I repeated. "Oh, I don't know if--"

"General!" called Poe instead. "I'm sorry to interrupt. This is Finn. He needs to talk to you."

"And I need to talk to him," said General Organa. "That was incredibly brave what you did: renouncing the First Order, saving this man's life."

"Thank you, ma'am, but a friend of ours was taken prisoner," said Finn.

"Han told me about the girl," said the General. She peered around Poe, raising her eyebrows at my hidden figure. "He also had some good things to say about you."

Poe stepped in front of me, concealing me from her view one more. He felt my hand tighten. "Finn's familiar with the weapon that destroyed the Hosnian System. He worked on the base," he explained.

"We're desperate for anything you can tell us," said the General. She ignored me for the time being.

"I've got to get there fast," said Finn urgently.

"And I will do everything I can to help, but you need to tell us about what you know," she ordered.

"I can do that," agreed Finn.

"But first, a word with you two, if I may," said the General. Poe and I joined her on a walk outside of the base. "I need to know your history with your... Outbursts."

"She needs to know you're safe for this base," whispered Poe.

"I was safe on my own base," I told her.

"Is that so?"

Poe frowned at her tone. Desperate for her to understand, he explained,
"We thought we had it under control. She was good, General. I could get her to fight without unnecessary hits on her part, I had her happy, she was set on joining the Resistance, helping people..."

"And then?"

He avoided both of our questioning gazes. "I left her."

"Separation does things to the heart," sighed the General. "You must have done a hell of a job setting her on a right path. I never heard any reports about dangerous incidents with her."

"That's because my squadron leader ensured that never happened," I said. I peered over Poe's shoulder, not comfortable enough to step out on my way. "I've been fighting since I was ten years old. I breezed through training like it was nothing."