don't play well with others

Han and Rey landed the ship in the center of a luscious green forest on Takodana. Stepping into the dirt, I noticed a palace further along the path. Han wobbled in the direction of it.

I stayed silent, observing. It reminded me of my home, Yavin 4. Forests replaced jungles; the humidity on Yavin 4 was significantly higher, but it was blue, green and beautiful, just like Takodana.

I caught sight of a low hanging tree branch, similar to a vine, and at once, memories of Poe and I on Yavin 4 came rushing into my head. Diverting my thoughts, I asked, "Remind me why we're here?"

"So we can get you and your droid on a clean ship," said Han.

"Clean?" repeated Finn.

"Do you think it was luck Chewie and I found the Falcon? If we can find it on our scanners, the First Order's not far behind," explained Han. He remained silent until we reached the steps of the aging palace. "You want to get BB-8 to the Resistance? Maz Kanata's our best bet."

Up the steps we climbed. It led us into an abandoned square, decorated with hanging flags of various colors that complimented the tainted red marble complex. At the center of the palace, entirely visible to all within a certain distance, was a statue of a rather short female.

I stared at the golden statue, assuming it was the person Han wanted help from. "We can trust her?"

"Relax, kid. She's ran this watering hole for a thousand years," brushed off Han. "Maz has a bit of an acquired taste, so, let me do the talking. Oh, and whatever you do, don't stare."

"At what?" asked Rey.

"Any of it," said Han, then he pulled back the double doors, waltzing through them as if he owned the palace.

Maz's place was similar to the likes of Mos Eisley. Then again, there were a lot of places in the galaxy where one could go to find a good time. Her place wasn't any different than the usual dive bars: a gambling corner, aliens of all races hobbling and wobbling about with drinks splashing wildly. A band in the center drowned out the excessive swearing and minor fighting.

"Han Solo!" bellowed a woman's voice. The bar fell silent. All eyes were on us.

"So much for being slick," I muttered.

"Oh, boy," said Han under his breath. He mustered up a cheerful tone. "Hey, Maz!"

And the bar fell back into place.

"Where is my boyfriend?" demanded the yellow skinned alien. Her slim fingers tapped at the side of her goggles, enlarging the lenses up at Han.

"Chewie's working on the Falcon," said Han.

"I like that Wookie," she said. "I assume you need something. Desperately. Let's get to it."

Maz led the four of us into the back corner. She sat at the head of the table. I sat across from Rey and beside Han. BB-8 rolled to a stop under the table, his body nudging into my the tips of my shoes.

She was kind enough to grant our hungry stomach's with food. As Rey, Finn and I cleaned our plates, Han brought Maz up to speed.

Her brow raised as she looked upon me. "You hold a map to Skywalker himself."

"I need you to get this droid and the girl to Leia," said Han.

"No," said Maz. "You've been running from this fight for too long, Han," she continued solemnly. She spoke in an language unknown to myself.

By the way Han avoided her eye, he knew exactly what she was saying. He insisted General Organa didn't want to see him.

Finn placed his utensils on the table. "Please, we came here for your help," he begged.

"What fight?" asked Rey.

"The only fight: against the dark side. Through the ages, I've seen evil take many forms: the Sith, the Empire. Today, it is the First Order. Their shadow is spreading across the galaxy. We must face them. Fight them. All of us."

"There is no fight against the First Order," snapped Finn. He took a second to calm from his outburst. "Not one we can win. Look around. I bet there is no chance one of us hasn't been recognized. The First Order is probably on their way right..." He fell silent, due to Maz climbing on the table. She fingered her goggles, enlarging in on Finn's eyes. He looked between her and Han. "What's this? What are you doing? Solo, what is she doing?"

Han reclined in his chair, swishing the liquid in his cup. "Don't know, but it ain't good."

"If you live long enough, you see the same eyes in different people. I'm looking at the eyes of a man who wants to run," said Maz.

"You don't a thing about me. Where I'm from, what I've seen.. You don't know the First Order like I do. They'll slaughter us. We all need to run," warned Finn.

Maz huffed. In her seat once more, she pointed her finger. "See those two? They'll trade work for transportation to the outer rim. There, you can disappear."

Finn waited no longer to leave. "Come with me," he offered to Rey. 

"What about BB-8? Enna?" asked Rey.

"I've told you before, I don't need your help," I said.

"We're not done yet, Finn, we have to get them back to your base," said Rey.

"I can't," he sighed. He held out his borrowed gun to its owner. Han waved his hand. With a last look to Rey, Finn walked in the direction that would grant his wish: disappearance. Rey grabbed her staff and sprinted after him.

"And what of you?" asked Maz.

Immediately, I set my utensils down. I scooted my chair from the table. Maz planned to venture to dangerous territory by looking into me. I tried to rid any potential sharp objects from my grasp.

Straightforward, she inquired, "For what reason do you carry a lightsaber?"

"Personal," I said.

"To scare off others?" guessed Maz. She used the bow of my head as fuel to continue prying. "I sense you have fear of your own, darling. A fear of something within. Why?"

My answer couldn't come right away. Annoyance of her curiosity, and fear of what it would cause made my clenched fists tremble. I had few words left before I was lost. Through my teeth, I whispered, "I'm asking you to back off."

"Before?" she tempted, her knees on the table. "What are you afraid of?"

"Maz," said Han fiercely. He took notice of my mannerisms. His hand reached for me. In fear of his safety, I kicked the leg of his chair away from me. He frowned. "Kid, what's..."

"I don't need your help," I choked out. Shaking profusely, I stood. "I-I don't need your help," I repeated, then I ran, into isolation on the steps of the palace.